Ideas for Christmas Gift Exchange

I have a large family and we normally pull names for gifts. However, I have noticed that the siblings with more children end up buying more than the siblings with less children (we only buy for the kids). Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Maybe a different way to do gift exchange?
Also the children range in ages from newborn to 21. There are 24 nieces and nephews!!

Suggest a family name pull...........only buy for the family. Up the money amount a bit and buy for hte family and not each person. You could also just do kids. Yes, it is hard when some families have 5 kids and some only have 2. My favorite is for the family. Things can get very creative....a big box full of small items one fo reach member or a large gift the whole family can enjoy. Even a gift certificate is great.

What about adpoting another family in need, and pooling in money from your family to purchase groceries, gifts, household necessities to a local family that is having a rough time? If the kids are really set on receiving gifts, then just have the kids fo a gift exchange instead of the adults.

I have 9 siblings and we only buy for our godchildren. Or my sister and her in-laws buy a family gift, possibly a board game that everyone can play. Sometimes my sister gives a gift card to a restaurant that delivers, a movie store gift card, and a basket full of popcorn, candy, etc. so the family can have a dinner and a movie night. It is more cost effective because you are buy for the family instead of individuals, and you are bringing that family together. Hope this helps.

Hi S., we are in the same huge family situation. I think it's fair though because you buy the same number of gifts as you have children. It's still much easier than buying for everybody.

Another idea is to do the same exchange but agree to buy books, they are just as fun and much cheaper! Or each family of kids can buy a gift for another family of kids, such as a board game... this way every family is only buying one gift.

We are in the same boat. We have never figured out how to get around the uneven number factor, but we figure at least we are all saving money (even the families with more kids are still saving money by not having to buy EVERYONE a gift).
R. B.

We had the same problem. We ended up not exchanging gifts. No matter how you do it, if someone has four kids they would still be responsible for four presents......and if you only had one kid, one present. In our family it just got way too expensive. We get together for a big meal every year and just let the kids play.
Good luck on a solution.
http://J..yoursmh.com

Hi S., someone else asked a similar question the other day. I'm attaching their responses. My suggestion was on there too ;) Good luck!

http://www.mamasource.com/request/recent/76208/1226354539...

Maybe all the families could decide on a budget for the gifts. For example, $100 and that way it would be fair for everyone. The family with more kids would get numerous gifts that totaled the amount and if a family had less kids the dollar amount would still be the same, maybe just larger gits. We only buy gifts for our parents on both sides, and then all the kids get together and go to the movies or out to eat.

1 / 3