Ideas for Adoption Shower

Moms,
I have given many showers but I have a new one I'm planning now. I have a friend that is adopting a 7 year old daughter and we would like to give them a shower before the girl is with them full time at the end of the month. I have several people helping me but we would like to know some great ideas that you have done or heard of since it isn't for a baby. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Find out the interests, taste and size of the little girl. She probably will need new clothing and toys, school items too for the coming up school year. Maybe some things for her bedroom, so she can feel at home in her new room.

By finding out her likes, you can avoid getting her say, Dora things if she is a Disney Princess fan or a soccer girl and such.

And for mom, maybe some books, Pixar or Disney movies, or arts and crafts kits she can do with her new daughter so they can have a fun time bonding with each other. Or maybe a portrait package so they can get family pictures together.

Lots of really good ideas came back to you, but remember to have photo opportunites and someone filming this event to look back on years later. Priceless....

I would definately take the little girl's interest and pick a theme that way. A cool gift idea is to pay for a first family picture.

Good ideas so far!! I would suggest like someone before...something they could do together...maybe some activities where they can get to know eachother better. I'm assuming the child has already been in the home but I would think it would be great to have one on one time with new parents/child.

Also-I would suggest giving the parents a book called 'Primal Wound'...I can't remember who writes it but you should be able to google. I was adopted and it really helped explain my feelings to other people and it had a section in there about adopting older childern and the feelings that they might go through.

Good luck with the shower and I wish the family tons of happiness

When our boss adopted a 7 year old girl we had a cake and gave her gift certificates so she could buy her stuff once she was living with them.

We had this type of shower for someone at my work. The decorations were very girly and age appropriate for the girl. We mostly gave give certificates for things that they could do together and things that the girl may not have been able to do before (zoo membership, Sweet & Sassy, movies, etc.) Some people also gave scrapbook supplies and home movie baskets. It was a real celebration of their family coming together. The little girl and the family loved it.

Since the little girl is big enough to understand what is going on, perhaps personalized gifts with her "new" name on it or "new" monogram would be fun gift ideas? Land's End and LL Bean do a great job of personalizing tote bags, and Lillian Vernon has oodles of personalized stuff especially for kids.

Another idea, but more for the family than the daughter, would be personalized return address labels with the stick figures of each person in the family, showing she's a part of the family now.

1 / 3