Ideas for a "Fairy Tale" Costume for a Boy

Hello Fellow Mammas,

When I picked up my son from preschool today his teacher informed me that it was "Once Upon A Time" week and Wednesday all the children are to dress up as their favorite fairy tale character. Short notice, I know! We headed to the Disney Store at the mall, me thinking they may have a Peter Pan outfit I could pickup, but no such luck! I am in need of some ideas that are quick and relativley inexpensive as I only have tonight and tomorrow night to get something put together! Any and all ideas and suggestions are apperciated!

He could be an ogre or a troll or a bad guy. They are sometimes more fun to play. He could be Prince Charming and dress very nicely and knock all the gilrs socks off. Maybe the frog prince.

Have him go as a prince. Does he have a suit? and a sword?Prince Phillip has a red had with a feather, or don't even bother with that.
Chances are if he goes as a prince in a suit he will be the most handsome one there! ;)

T.,
How fun! Try Peter Pan! Green shorts and a green shirt with a green hat and a cardboard sword. Should do great! Don't just limit yourself to Disney characters either! They have a lot, but there are so many more fairy tales out there. Google search fairy tales and see what you come up with. Anything easy. What about the tall tale of Paul Bunyon!?? Jeans and a flannel shirt and some cute workboots! Cardboard axe and a stuffed ox. Oh that is too cute.

Have fun with this! Take lots of pics at the party!
V.
marrid 8.5 yrs, dd is 6, ttc #2 for 5 yrs in aug. No answers! Filling out adoption papers! Wish us luck!

Wings you can find easy. How about green shorts and a green top. pointy shoes from thirft store or bare feet better yet. Try the thrift store for the wings too. Claires might have some props. Green face makeup and hair spray from a costume store. They might have other things you need. Disguises (SP) in Lakewood on the corner of Kipling and Clofax will have the stuff you need or a costume store just south of I-76 on Sheridan has that stuff too. (Denver area)
Have fun (Glitter all over helps to and sticks well with lotion to the skin)
C. B

T.,
I don't think this is anything to get stressed about. Is Peter Pan his favorite fairy tale character? If not, who is? If it is Humpty Dumpty, put him in a white t-shirt and slick his hair back. If it is Jack and the beanstock, give him some beans. If it is a prince, put him in his best looking outfit and make him a crown. If you happen to have a stick horse, your little prince could ride it to school. If it is Peter Pan, the other ladies' suggestions were great! Your teacher does not do these activities to see what mom can come up with the best costume. She is doing it to connect the kids with the literature they are reading. Keep it simple and fun. Focus on your little boy and what really is his favorite character. Ask him what his favorite character looks like and let him help you dig through the closet to see what comes close. HAVE FUN!

My two little men are dress-up junkies, so we have a pretty extensive costume box. . . . For a quick costume your son and his teachers will love, consider the character Max from the book "Where the Wild Things Are." You can use a white T-shirt or hoodie and sweatpants, draw whiskers on with an eyeliner, make a tail with a feather duster and a safety pin, and maybe add claws made from cardstock to his shoes if it needs it.
Kings and princes are always easy--a frog prince all in green with a crown would be very fairy tale-ish. King Midas with lots of gold accents would be fun. You can always customize a Burger King crown or make one out of cardstock or construction paper.
I'm a big fan of the embellished T-shirt and/or sweatsuit as a costume--a cop-out but easy and fun. Anything with a cape is always a big hit with my guys. I am always trying to tone down or steer them away from costumes that will make them behave violently, so I tend to avoid costumes that require a weapon as a prop. My kids both *love* to go to Zurchers party supply store because they have a whole aisle of hats. Maybe a party supply store would offer some inspiration. I've seen wizard hats there (Merlin, maybe?) and I also saw Robin Hood-type hats and elf hats, all for less than $5. A hat can make the man! Good luck and keep us posted! ;)

Hi T.. If you want to go with the Peter Pan idea, go to Hobby Lobby and pick up a green tshirt. They're about $3. Cut the collar out and cut the sleeves and hem in a zig-zag pattern. Glue some fake leaves to the shirt, have your son wear brown or khaki pants that you can roll up to the knee, and ta-dah! Peter Pan. I just did this for a play I directed and it looked really cute.

R.

You could dress him in green with a crown and he could go as the frog that turned into a prince when he was kissed! You could put lipstick on and give him a huge kiss on the way out the door.

Make him a Lost Boy. This wouldn't take too much in the way of preparation. Go to the nearest thrift store and pick up some shorts that you can rip and a shirt that can be ripped. Rub some food or paints on it to make it look like he's been wearing it for a while. Give him a fun hat, a pretend sword, put dirt on his face, and teach him to say BangaRang. I think that would be the easiest without resorting to tights.

1 / 3