Ideas for 5 Year Old Boy Birthday Party

Does anyone have any great ideas for a birthday party for a 5 year old boy?? I don't want to spend a lot of money but I'm not sure I want a lot of kids in my home. He's my oldest so I'm new at this. He likes trains, tools, rockets, and music. Any resources you can offer would be much appreciated! The birthday is at the end of April.

I am keeping ALL of your ideas! And I hope other moms got some good ideas, too. The party was fun and easier to do at home than I'd expected. At times it did feel like a big playdate but the kids were having fun, so we went with the flow. It was a "Word World" theme of games and crafts. I made min cupcakes and spelled my son's name. I'm glad we did it at home. I will probably spend less money next time--I may have gotten carried away!

My girlfriend took the kids to a firehouse once and it was a big hit.
They did have to go home for ice cream and cake, but she didn't have to do any games or entertaining--just greet, leave, and eat.

Lowe's and Home Depot do like little workshops to build a boat or birdhouse, whatever... You could always call them and ask if they would do it for a party. I know I've heard it being done before!

Host the party at home to keep the costs down. Invite 10 friends and probably 8 will come. For a theme, you could use Trains, Construction Trucks, or Space. My favorite party planning website has a free party guide for each of these theme. You could read through the party guides and then choose the theme based on what you feel you can do well at your home. Here is a link to the page that lists all the party guides. I hope this is helpful to you! The first "real" party is always nerve-racking, but after that they just get easier!
http://funkidspartyideas.com/gpage.html

It depends on where you live, but contact your local Parks and Rac department. They almost always have a large room somewhere for rent. In my county you can rent the gymnastics building for a lot, lot less than going to one of those bouncy house places. If you can do something like that, then just bring pizza for everyone and a cake and maybe a pinata or something. Doesn't have to be fancy, just has to be fun for a five year old and as I'm sure you've noticed, they can have fun with just about anything.

Hey, if you are looking to plan a party at any budget point, check out all the great party plans at www.pepperspollywogs.com. This is one of my fave sites to plan. They literally have about a thousand party plans, searchable by age, boy or girl, or theme. Good luck!

We had our 5 yr old party at a putt putt golf course "Rocky Gorge" in Laurel. It was only about 4.50 per child for the golf & we bought pizza, cupcakes, lemonade etc. Plus about 8 batting tokens for 5.00. It's nice & I'm sure there are local options. We've also done the sports in the yard and other things people have recommended. If you go to a park try to find one that isn't usually crowded.

Five year old boys love to run around. I went to a party this past weekend, that they had outside, she set out sports toys that he already had and they all just played running around and such. Another good one is we all met at a local park (with a large playground). They provided some snacks and juice and water and the kids all played then we sat together and had cake. I think she planned one or 2 games as well (my son was young, so he didn't do those). Good luck!!

My sister did a great "Spy" party for her son's 9th party. She had lots of different ages, so I wouldn't say anything there was too mature for a 5 year old party.

First, she had me dress up like a spy with dark glasses, hat and trench coat. I did a quick speach about how they were going to become spies and take on top secret missions (while holding a big manilla envelope with a big red TOP SECRET printed on it).

They had a secret decoded message and each person had a section to decode. Then they put them all together in order (Each one was numbered) and read it out. You can have an adult read it. Then they had 3 stations where they honed their spy skills. They had cans set up in a pyramid and the kids tossed spongy balls at them to knock them down. Another station was a shooting station where they had 2 guns with suction cup arrows. They put targets up on the window with tape and the kids tried to get the arrows to stick to the window inside the target. The last station was the wildest. They used string to make a laser beam room. They tied it to doorknobs, dresser knobs, caught it in the window, around bed posts, etc. The kids loved this one most of all, but it was really hard. I suggest only 5 or 6 laser beams.

After that, they had a scavenger hunt with clues. My sister was planning to do it outside which makes it more fun, but she had to change it to indoors when the weather didn't cooperate. That worked out great since they hid clues in certain toys or under a kid's pillow. It ended with a bowl of spagetti in the garage that easter eggs were hidden in. The kids each found one and then all opened them at the same time. The info inside the eggs were numbers. The kids lined up in the order of the numbers for hitting the pinata.

I hope this helps. The kids LOVED the games. You can probably go to a dollar store or party store and find spy type goodies for goodie bags (if you give them). My sister found some great spy glasses that had mirrors on the outer edges of the inside. You can see who is standing behind you. Unfortunately, they were too costly to give to everyone. You can probably get decoders and dark mirrored glasses and things like that. I'm sure if you google online, you can find numerous other ideas to go with this cool theme.

Liz

p.s. They just did cupcakes so nothing special on the cake. You can always have them decorate the cupcakes if you want another activity. Also, she gave each one a badge (sticker) that indicated their name and that they were a secret agent. They got to color them at the beginning while they waited for others to come.

Hi! If your son has an abundent of energy, there is a Bounce A Round over by the airport. They do birthday parties and they are fairly reasonable if you don't want to have a bunch of kids. They have a bunch of MoonBounces fo kids to play and jump on. If I think of anything else I will be sure to post.
Another thing that's easy, instead of buying a cake, you can make cupcakes with ice cream cones. Not the sugarones, but the melt in your mouth ones that you can stand up in a muffin tin.

Hi. For my son's 6th birthday, (last Aug) we contacted the local volunteer fire dept and they not only brought the truck to our HOUSE, but Sparky the fire dog came too. They handed out coloring books and hats as well as letting the kids crawl all over the truck. The best part? It was FREE. (I did give a donation to the fire dept)We had a fire truck pinata and a cake decorated like a road with a fire at the end. I placed small plastic fire trucks on the road leading to the fire. Let me tell you, my son as well as all the other children, lost their minds when that truck pulled up! It was one of the most fun parties (and cheapest) I've ever thrown! Good luck

1 / 3