Ideas for 16 Year Old Son's Birthday

Hello All,
I am looking for ideas of ways to celebrate my 16 year old's birthday. Thinking about a surprise party. He says he does not want a party but as a family his Dad, sibs and I know he would enjoy it. I must add here that he says he does not want a party but is a very money conscious guy. As a family we know that he would love it. He is not one that seems bothered by family or being around people. I am looking for ideas not scepticism of whether or not to have a surprise party for him. Of course I am looking to do it on a budget :) Some input I'd also love is on bounce houses too.
Take Care,

Maybe he just wants a few guys to hang out and have pizza, no big party.

As a family, you could all go to the drive in one night to celebrate. Get it? 16, starting to drive, drive-in?

Had to do it.

Had to do it.

Surprise him with dinner at his favorite place with the just the family- maybe bowling or some other activity that he enjoys with the family afterwards.

As much as it hurts- he's growing up.
He might be using the "money-conscious" stance in order not to hurt your feelings and
saying "no" to a party that you would plan.
They want to be grown-up (or at least practice being grown up)
Allow him to have friends over on a weekend.
(something low-key-like a campfire, pizzas and videos or video games,)
Do you have a basement?
Is there a drive-in near you?
Llet him have some time with friends away from the family if he wants- of course -check on them but give them some "space".

I don't want to hurt your feelings. but
Just a question- were you thinking of a bouncy-house for his birthday?
I know a few teenagers- They would rather DIE.

He is 2 years away from being able to "serve his country"

Hi-i really didn't want a party with my family when I was 16 either-so maybe go over your budget and find out how much you could spend on a party if you were to have one-then talk to your son and tell him that he has 500 dollars to spend to do whatever he would like to do on his bday-like him and some friends renting a limo and just going out to different places: out to dinner, to a movie, to an arcade, etc.... I don't know what he likes to do-give him an extra hour for curfew cuz its his bday-they don't have to rent a limo but I figured it would give him some freedom and he doesn't have to have his parents driving him and his friends around on his bday-good luck-hope this gave you some ideas

If he says he does not want a party, ask him what he would like to do instead? Maybe just he and one friend could go to Dave and Busters or ESPNZone for an afternoon? Or ask if he wants to just have his best buds over to play Rock Band and you'll order pizza, etc for them. Or maybe there is a specific gift he really wants- you could take your 'party budget' whatever that is- and put it towards a CD or video game, new jeans or skateboard or Bears jersey- whatever it is that he really wants. Just tell him that you were going to spend this money on a party, but if he would rather have it to get the gift he REALLY wants, you would rather do that. He's old enough that a surprise party might just be horribly embarrassing to him. I would work with him to find an alternative if he says he doesn't want a party.

My brother just turned 16 yesterday. They live up in Rockford, but they went to BD mongolian grill with a couple of his good friends, then everyone went to his house and played halo. My dad said the boys had a good time. And they even had fun with him at dinner.

how about laser tag or paint ball or renting a hotel suite & have fun in the pool, or go to wisconsin dells waterparks they are a blast for teenagers especially the kalahari they have a mock surboarding pool that kids his age love.......how about laser bowling night at brunswick they have loud music & everything glows........well just some ideas for you....he will love you guys for this.....have fun

My daughter has an october birthday party and her teen years she always liked a weiner roast. She could have her friends and family and her brothers could have some of there friends there.

I think it is great that you want to have a party for your son! Be careful with the bounce houses for kids of that age. The reason I say it is they are much bigger, bounce much higher and try not so smart tricks. My brother did a flip, kneed himself in the nose and broke his nose. I know you can rent them pretty reasonably but the ER bills might just offset that....

The Dell's are great for a couple nights or what about getting a hotel downtown and seeing the sights, boat tour, museum. Or how about Blue Man Group tickets. I think they are running a special right now. It is an awesome show if you have not already seen it. Follow it up with pizza or some other favorite food.

1 / 3