Idea's for Grandma's Birthday Party...

We are giving my grandma a surprise 80th birthday party. We are having trouble coming up with ideas for her to have something (besides photos) to remember it by. The only thing we have come up with is have everyone sign something, not very creative I know. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated!!

It might be neat for everyone to bring memory/story they have about grandma written on a nice piece of paper and then at the party maybe they can share it or just give it to you and you can place them all in a binder and grandma will have a book full of memories!

Something we did for my Grandma's 90th birthday was make a big timeline out of butcher paper and stick it to the wall. Basically it started the year she was born and had a mark at the year of her 90th birthday (didn't want it to end then!), and everyone who came filled in big events along the way, like the years her kids, grandkids and great grandkids were born, the year she and Grandpa got married, the years everyone else got married, etc. It was really easy, everyone put in their own stuff with magic markers, and we all ended up having a ton of fun with it.
Hope the party is tons of fun!

Hope the party is tons of fun!

We bought her a new recylner and have her a huge party. I did a photo album afterwards. She loved it.

I know you said something about having everyone sign something...which isn't a bad idea. Buy a frame and mat and have everyone sign the mat and then take a family group picture or a group picture of everyone at the party, then get it printed big enough to fit the mat. Then she can see everyone who came to celebrate and read everyone's well wishes to her on her 80th. You can then hang it on a wall that she will see or pass by fequently. To reach 80 years, wow, isn't that awesome. Good luck and God Bless.

I was away overseas when my grandmother's 80th was celebrated but my family went all out and video taped it. It was the most hysterical thing I'd ever seen. We all have quarks...well my aunt and cousins decided to act on it and put on skits about the funny things grandma did (wrapping her hairdo in toilet paper to keep it "fresh", eating (and offering EVERYONE) Little Debbie's and Diet Cokes, etc...) In fact, as a party favor, everyone left with a Little Debbie & a Diet Coke. During the filming and editing of the video they made it into a life story using the photos to tell a story of how the girl met the boy, got married, had kids, etc. and told all the funny stories that were handed down over the years throughout it. When they sent me the video I nearly peed my pants I was laughing so hard! My sides hurt for days after that! It's a lot of work, but boy did everyone have fun putting it together!

We did something kind of neat for my parents 50th - we asked everyone to send in (or bring) photo's and a short written piece about them (or her in this case) and then we created a scrap book for them. They really liked it.

Good Morning L.'s, I didn't look to see what others suggested so here is my idea. Get pictures from when she was young with her parents, siblings etc, and through the years till now. Put them in several assorted sized frames and have people write things they remember about your Gr. Mama to put into a memory book. Times you spent the weekend or went shopping, baked cookies, just little or long stories you remember personally. Stories she told you when she was growing up. I have a beautiful hand made memory book from my fathers Mothers 80th birthday, with a picture of her in the center of it. As Oldest gr child I was given it when she passed away. There are about 30-40 notes and letters with special pictures for some with the notes.

If someone is good with Computers, Attaching Pictures, adding music and video you could do a "This is your Life" DVD to show at the party.

God Bless and what ever you do for her she will adore it.
K. Nana of 5

On my Mom's 75th we all chipped in and got her a little diamond necklace that had a diamond for each of her kids and her grandkids, 7 in all. It was not terribly expensive. She and I were talking about BIG birthdays last night (she's 81 now) and she reminded me of it!!! So, it must have made an impression!

When my Grandma celebrated her 80th many years ago, she had several elderly friends and relatives that lived out of state or couldn't attend due to health issues. I sent a note to each of them requesting that they write a note/letter which included past memories of their time spent together and return it to me. I had a HUGE response and I bought a special scrapbook to hold the notes/letter/cards and photos from the party. She thoroughly enjoyed reading and re-reading them for the next 13 years that she was alive. It was truly a gift that kept on giving.

1 / 3