Icing Tips/recipes for Homemade Birthday Cake

Hi Moms- I am making my daughters 1st birthday cake this weekend and I am very inexperienced. I was wondering if any of you have some special tips on how to spread the icing so it does not look streaky or rough. I am making a very simple/small castle cake with a square base. Is there a good recipe I should use to make my own icing or should I just buy containers from the grocery store? I also want the icing to be pink or purple- any tips on how to dye it?

Thank you SOOOOO much for all of the cake decorating/icing advice I received. I made the castle cake for my daughters 1st birthday and I think it turned out super cute. I used a combination of everyone's advice and for my first attempt, the icing came out looking pretty smooth. I used the Wilton buttercream icing recipe and instead of using vanilla extract, I used peppermint and iced a chocolate cake. It was a good combo. I got many visual ideas from the website Coolest Birthday Cakes and I actually posted mine there to help "pay it forward" to other moms looking to make a castle cake. If you responded to my request and want to see your advice put into action, check out the cake at http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-princess-ca... Again, thanks so much for your responses, they all helped so much!

I had to make a cake last minute and I needed black and hot pink frosting... I went to the bakery at my local grocery store and bought their frosting they use for cakes.. they died it for me and everything, and it was very inexpensive and easy to spread!

As a few people alrady suggested, Michaels has the Wilton colors for cake decorating. They also have the pre-made frosting. It's pretty thick which makes it good for decorating but to spread easier I would thin it out.
They also have fondant in this section. You buy it in these little tubes and you can roll it out and use it to cover the cake. No worries about streaks and a lot of it comes pre-colored. I used hot pink fondant to make a "dress" for a Barbie cake. It was so much easier than frosting the entire thing. It was my first time using it even though I decorate cakes as a hobby and side income for friends. It was very easy to use, rolled out simple and the end result looked very nice. You may need to packages depending on how big the cake is and how thin you roll the fondant.

You can buy white icing in a container from the store and use food coloring to dye it. The box will tell you what color to mix and how many drops to make purple. I imagine with pink you would just add a little red. Also if you whip the icing in a bowl you can double the volume, thereby making it easier to spread, easier to mix the food coloring, and you use less (which means less sugar). You could also find a pretty simple butter cream frosting recipe (powder sugar, butter, and milk) on line. You may want to invest in a special knife made for frosting cakes (you can find them at Michael's), they're flat and long, so that'll help with making smooth lines. Good luck, have fun, and happy birthday to your little one.

If you are looking for pink icing and concerned about taste, my kids love the Betty Crocker cherry flavored icing. It expecially goes well on a cherry-chip cake. Happy Birthday to your little one!

At Smart and Final in the freezer section they have the whip cream frosting. Thaw and whip up. Very easy the name is Frostin Pride. Add food coloring to color. Can use sugar cones from the store (small ones) for the tops of castle. Sounds fun!! As for the spreading finding a good utensil is key maybe michaels they would have the coloring also but dip you knife in warm water to smooth it out!

If you are going to Michaels anyway, the Wilton colors dye the frosting to deeper shades quicker and easier. If you get the guts to try the little stars, their premade frosting is a good texture for that. Go for the thin texture of frosting for smoothness, then wet your knife down with water to smooth it even more. Good luck!

After frosting your cake, dip a palette knife or small spatula into hot water and wipe. Then slide the heated knife over the cake, it'll melt the icing just enough to make the surface smooth and shiny.

make thelayers first. cool completley, then freeze, cut the shapes out form the frozen cake . then put a thin layer of thinned out frosting on starting at the sides then the tops. freeze again then use your decorating frosting. butter cream works really well and you can add or take out powdered sugar to adjust the consistency. i like to use paste colors because they dont dilute the frosting and make it runny. when you get to frost, put a few pieces of wax paper under the bottom layer. make sure the pieces overlap so that you can pull them out after you finish forsting ( cake plate stays clean) there are several variations of frosting i use, the one that uses crisco only turns out like the bakery frosting doesnt really taste that well but it wil give you very white frosting that wont change the colors of your dyes. butter cream using butter has better taste but you will get a beige looking frosting and it may change the colors a bit. cream cheese frosting is delicious but you have to paly with the powdered sugar to get the right consistency. the easiest and fastest frosting i make is to take one can of vanilla whipped frosting, one box of cream cheese that is room temperature, and powdered sugar. beat the cream cheese until it is light and fluffy, add the canned frosting and beat some more slowly add powedered sugar until you get the right consistency. divide the forsting depending on what colors you will use the most. frost the forzen prepared cake doing the sides first then the top. use a deocrating bag to pipe decorations on it. i like to use heavy duty freezer bags, i put the nozzel into a corne and cut off the tip of the bag. i insert the decorating tip over that and then screw the whole thing down. i use different ones for each color. good luck

1 / 3