I Want to Homeschool!

I want to home school my children, but my husband wants them to go to public, do I dare put them in danger like that? We both grew up in small towns, and there wasn't all these school shootings and hostage situations! My school had a bomb threat when I was in Junior High, and I was scared! I don't want my children to be around that, especially in elementary! I have heard about so many young children shooting their friends, because they got their parents' gun! I am a very protective and aware person, I don't want to put my children in others' hands! Anyone have any advice on this?

Just so everyone one knows, I am not making this decision strictly on fear itself! I just can't believe how irresponsible many parents are these days, and for them being irresponsible, I should not have to sacrifice my child's life! I want to be apart of everything in my children's lives! Also, I have seen all too many children passed to the next grade, cause the teachers don't want to deal with them again the next year! So many people deny that, but I know people personally, and when I did cadet teaching, I saw children passed who shouldn't have been!

My husband and I have talked, even more about this! We have decided to send our children to schools through grade school and then decide again as a family!

I haven't read all the responses since there is so many.. but i just want to add a few comments that someone else might have all ready added..

Home school.. i was never home schooled.. i live in Phoenix, AZ and i dealt with bullying and drama.. cause we were poor when i was a child.. we dealt with these so called "bomb threats" where some one calls in and says there is a bomb on the school and it riles everyone up and you miss more school than anything.. and well. i hated grade school... since i was poor... and i was a white girl in a mostly mexican school. i was picked on.. for everything..

So if the kids are in a situation like that.. i can see home schooling them.. but then again.. the kids have to learn how to be around other people and not be sheltered from bad things in life.. they need to know "This is bad" and how to get away from it if it ever happens.. i know i wouldn't want anything bad to happen to any young child.. and it is scary how these parents don't do a damn thing to keep their kids in line cause they are too busy partying or just don't care what the kid does.. but you gotta look at it that way.. i saw that you were going to try it.. and then vote later.. keep doing that.. i would suggest letting the kids decide.. but don't push them into or say well.. if you ever don't want to go.. just tell me and you don't have to go.. ya know cause you don't want them to take advantage of it.. and start acting crazy in order to stay home all day and not pay attention to even you... their parents!!!

Hope this is something to hear from someone who understands either way you think... i am going to put my kids in school.. cause they need to be around other kids.. they are only near me and my hubby and some family and never get to play with other kids that often.. so i feel bad and will determine what we need to do when the time comes.. but i don't think i will ever home school.. we will find a better school if all else fails

have a good day

My daughter is only 26 months old and we already do things with a home-schooling group. She doesn't go to daycare anymore (she went two days a week for nine months) and it gives her a chance to hang around kids. It also gives my husband a chance to meet people. (I work full-time, he works part-time). I have gone to a few events and see that she really enjoys the group. It is nice that she gets to be with kids of all ages, not just her same age. There are many different philosphies among homeschooling families so do some research to explore the options.

We are a home schooling family. Our situation, however, was reversed. My husband wanted the kids to be home schooled and I was waiting for them to turn 5 so I could send them off to school. Long story short, my oldest is 13 and we've been home schooling them for the passed 11 years. We started schooling him since he was 2. Contrary to what some people think, school does start at home... whether they are home schooled or attend public school.

What are your husband's reasons for wanting the children in public school? You don't have to notify the state with your intent to home school until 14 days prior to the start of your home school. Use that time to do lots of research and discuss it with your husband. I agree with the ladies in that you need to both be in agreement on the subject. There are support groups, co-ops, etc. for home schooling families.

The biggest concern I've ran into is that people worry about the child's social life. My mother-in-law voiced her opinion the loudest. If you meet my kids, you will see they don't have a problem socializing. My kids, for the most part, are outgoing and love being around people. They can carry on conversations with adults that I wasn't able to do at their age. (I'm not an outgoing person and still prefer to be alone at times.) My MIL has since seen how the kids are in school (grades), around other people, etc. and she gives them a lot of praises. She even offers to help with expenses where needed.

I'm hoping to be of encouragement so I shared a personal part of me with you. It took my husband 3 years to convince me that home schooling would be best for our children. It's a HUGE commitment on both parts. Continue the research and keep talking to your husband. It's important to not be nagging as well...

have a good day

I'm planning to homeschool my first. I admit that part of my motivation is fear--I don't want my child exposed to the negative socialization of the public schools. I've done a ton of reading and I recommend you read stuff from the library and talk to other moms who are homeschooling right now, perhaps through here or a support group.

What I think is happening when people like your husband speak of socialization is that there saying "I want my daughter to turn out normal, and schools are normal." HS kids can be "normal" as much as you want them to be, if you let them interact with other children through social activities, support groups, religious activities, or scouts.

You can't homeschool with a hostile father, so you need to spend some time figuring out what his concerns really are and addressing them. My husband thought I was crazy at first, ,but now he thinks that shows like "Friday Night Lights' are an advertisement for homeschooling, so their minds can change. I wish you luck, and please feel free to get in touch with me if you wish.

You should be aware that if you decide to homeschool, you might face a lot of criticism. I've had friends tell me that I'm arrogant and screwing up my kids lives. Now, even though I've made my decision, I don't mention it unless someone else brings it up or asked me.

I too am planning on homeschooling my son (who is now only 2)and any other children that we may have. I have several reasons for wanting to including his safety. I don't think that you are ever to early to start thinking about your children's education and you would like to handle it. It is a very important decision to make and one that takes a lot of research and thought. I don't know if you are a Christian or not, but there is an organization called Christian Home Educators Of Colorado that offers introductory seminars and also a free magazine (www.chec.org). There is another web-site www.home-school.com that offers a lot of info. on state requirements and local support groups, etc. I have also checked out books at the library to get more info. Since I too am very new to the home schooling world I am still researching and trying to find out more info. I am also trying to find a support group to join to talk to other moms. I hope this info. helps. Let me know if you would like to talk further.

I think your heart and mind are in the right place! I homeschool my children and was homeschooled myself throughout most of high school...(I attended freshman year and part way through my sophmore year)
What can I say, it is a big big decision and I know the eagerness you have, I've had it in my heart since my firstborn was kicking around in my tummy. Your husband on the other hand needs to know you'll at least hear him out, find out why he is against it, maybe he thinks your kids will turn out "wierd", I know that is a prevalent thought among mostly ignorant...(I say that not as a put-down) people, it's the thought that begins these statements, "well I met this black women once..., or mexican, or chinese"....ill-informed thinking, one does NOT cover all. Your children will grow up how YOU and your HUSBAND raise them, plain and simple. Some parents are "wierd", shoot, some people are just plain out-there. Everyone is different and maybe you should just do some research and back up your claims to you husband. But be ready to play it over and over again to your family......trust me, no one understands why you want to homeschool until your child is ahead three levels in math or incredibly well mannered and quick thinking. People are skeptical because it's against the norm of society. Robots try not to break the mold and if you do decide to homeschool you force others out of their comfort zone.....(my husbands side, including my husband himself are ALL or were school teachers.) Every holiday the same words are spoken to us....When is he going to go to "real school". and the condensending looks we get. It's not easy but, I honestly don't think the pioneers had it easy either.... Well I wish and pray the best for you and your family, I really hope above all that you and your husband will get on the same page. God bless, T.

C.,
I feel your pain, and I understand where you're coming from. I worry about sending my daughter to school, too. But right now she's in preschool 3 mornings a week and loves it. Doing this has also shown me how important it is for her to be around her peers. I would do as others suggested and research it a little further. I have.
I live in Colorado Springs, and with the exception of 1 charter school, 1 private school, or Cheyenne Mountain School District schools here, I would never send my child to any of the schools in this city - including, to many locals' shock, any District 20 schools (and I graduated D-20, so I do have experience with them!). I have thoroughly researched all my options, as kindergarten is fast-approaching for her. I have her on wait lists for the schools of my choice already. But I also have all the forms ready for Virtual Schools if need be. In my opinion, they are an excellent way to keep your child actively learning and have Mommy & Daddy enjoy the schooling experience, too. If the parents are stressed with having to come up with lesson plans, children tend to feed off that stress, too, and not learn as well. I also have found that several schools do have the option of allowing your child to attend part-time, with supplemental learning at home. That is another option we are considering, so that our child can still benefit from learning and being around her peers and participating in PE, music, ceramics, etc, and also still have the benefits of home-learning.
I guess what I'm saying is don't make your decision off a worry. Children (and people in general) are in danger anywhere you go these days. I've heard of people getting shot in grocery stores, for crying out loud. You can't shelter your children from everything and still be fair to your child. Just make sure you research your options and do what is best for your child and your family.

C.,

I homeschooled all three of my children. My oldest son went back to school in the 6th grade because he was extremely tall and wanted to play basketball for the school team and they wouldn't allow him to do that unless he was enrolled. He ended up very happy to go back, BUT he is a senior in high school this year and he still almost every single day thanks me for homeschooling him when I did.

My daughter 13 and son 10 just started public school this year after being homeschooled all previous years. They are doing great and are way more advanced than the rest of their classes. Studies have been done that show that most homeschooled children test incredibly higher than their public school peers.

When my husband and I decided to homeschool our children we had a ton of our family, friends and neighbors tell us what a horrible decision that was. Most people fear that homeschooled children will not have enough social time with other children. Well, to squash that fear we belonged to two different homeschooling groups. We took fieldtrips at least twice a month with other kids and families; we got together as groups and did a wonderful science experiment at one family's home every Monday because with a science experiment you can gear it for all age groups. Every Wednesday we would all get together at another family's home and have either storytime, have older children help younger children with reading, have all the children practice a play that they would perform for all the families. They would do one of the above from 10:00 a.m. until noon and then everyone brought a sack lunch and we would go to the park to eat lunch and let the children play for about an hour after lunch. The children put on about 5 plays a year. We would make performance nights be a potluck dinner, the children would perform their play and then everyone in every family would play games for the rest of the evening. Every other Thursday one or two moms would teach something. We always took turns teaching something on Thursday afternoons from 2:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. Sometimes the kids would do an art project, sometimes they would learn how to cook something, sometimes they would learn something about another country, and sometimes they would even learn a few words, sentences or phrases in a different language; the list was endless. The moms were very prepared for whatever they decided to teach and the children had a wonderful time. Ok, last but not least once a month on a Friday we would do something for our community. We would go to a nursing home and the children would read to the residence there or practice their play they were currently working on. We would sometimes go somewhere and pick up trash or paint over graffiti. We would go to the human association and walk dogs, clean cages, and just love animals in need. Anyway, you get the point, we did something for our community.

The point to all of the above is that my kids were never without socialization with other children and the best part of all is that I was always there to make sure it was the PROPER kind of socializing that I wanted my kids to be involved in and NOT harmful stuff. My kids made lots of friends with the other kids in the groups and either had friends over to our home or went to other homeschooled kids' homes during the weekends. Being in the groups I knew each and every child very well and I also knew the parents very well so I knew what would or would not be taking place while my children were at their homes.

I believe if you are going to homeschool your children at all you should do it BEFORE they go to public/private school. If you keep them under your wings just a tad bit longer then you are sure to have more time to instill your values in them and it also prevents them from picking up some of the "not so nice" habits of school children.

I also know in my heart that I am much closer to my children because I homeschooled them because I did have that extra time to be with them, direct them, instill my values in them and more than anything LOVE THEM! To this day my kids are much more secure in the knowledge that they are loved than the other school children that go to public school with now. My children are also much more caring and sensitive to others' needs than schooled children.

Anyway, the list can go on and on. I just want to say that I am very happy that I was financially able to homeschool them and I am thrilled that I had the opportunity to homeschool them.

If you want to talk more about any of this, please feel free to message me.

Good luck to you, I am sure whatever decision you make will be the right decision for you and your family.

1 / 3