I Think My 5 Year Old Has Acid Reflux

He had a problem about a year and a half ago but only lasted a few days. In this last week he has started to what he says is "throwing up", but I think he's burping because what he's burping up is just water and nothing else. Now I haven't seen him do this, it always happens when he goes to bed (laying down have anything to do with it?). Just wondering if anyone has any experience or knows anything about acid reflux in kids and what can I do and give him? Is there anything else we should be concerned about?

C. is it possible he is having an effect from some foods? Maybe you could stop dairy for a bit and see if that helps, also give him more water. Some of the moms on this site who responded to infant reflux questions said their children were constipated and that contributes to it. Get a better diet and more roughage into him, less processed foods, no dairy, see if it helps.

Hi there: I am a volunteer parent with an organization called PAGER for children with reflux issues and other special needs. Their website is PAGER.com and they have lots of good information regarding reflux. The question for you is has your pediatrician been told of these episodes and is it only when he lays down? Does he have burping issues after eating regular foods too or is it water from drinking too much too quickly? I can send you a document from PAGER regarding foods and reflux. If you want it, email me at ____@____.com and I will send it to you.
Mother to 18 mth old with VATER Syndrome and GERD.

If you have acid reflux, it can happen when you lay down or bend over. It almost feels like you are involuntarily
throwing up. Not a nice feeling. I would talk to his pediatrician and see what they recommend.
W.

My son had the same problem when he was 6 months old. His doctor prescribed the GAS X for baby and it really helped. You might want to talk to your doctor about it. My son now is 24 years old and he still sometime heartburn so he has to take Pepcid to help. It might run in the family since his grandma and my husband has stomach problem. I hope this will help you to know more about acid reflux.

I don't really know what you can give them, but I do know that acid reflux does get worse when you lay down. Sometimes I will be having no problem with it at all, and as soon as I lay flat, it starts. Try getting him a wedge to elevate the head of his bed a little and he may be more comfortable when he sleeps.

Dear C.,
My little boy had the same problem. It always happened at night, but in his case, his gag reflex really kicked in and he was full-on vomitting. At first I thought he had the flu, but he would be better in the morning. This happened every single night for a week and I took him to the doctor. We described what was happening and the doctor knew exactly what to do. There are many different medications, I am sure, but my son was prescribed Reglan. He took a pill with dinner and again at bedtime. The vomitting stopped immediately. The medicine helps the food to go down further into the digestive tract instead of staying too long in the upper stomach giving the acid a chance to creep back up. My son had no side affects from the medication.
The other things you can do are to try to give your son dinner earlier, (if possible), and get him a wedge pillow or find some other way to elevate him and keep him from sleeping completely flat. The doctor suggested we actually put something under the mattress so that he could sleep on an incline, but the pillows worked fine. Eventually, my son was fine without the medication and only takes it on occasion.
I would suggest definitely taking him to the doctor as acid reflux DOES occur in children and it's best to treat it so that the acid doesn't cause any other problems.
Best of luck to you!

Could be acid reflux. I had it from day one and still do....laying down made it worse. Go to the doctor. There's stuff they can give your son that will help. I take perscription strength zantac and it works pretty good. Good luck!

My son is going through the same thing and he 5.5. He would lie down at night and then say his throat hurt and then say hen eeddt o vomit. Usually just sitting up solved this and sometimes not-we'd rush to the bathroom where he would throw up.

We were told he could have tums after dinner. Also were recommneded to lift his head in bed, either with pillows or physically raising the head of his bed.

We also tried to figure out what he was eating that bothered him, turns out it is milk. So now that we have elimiated milk and make sure he eats slowly then we are OK at nite.

1 / 3