I Think My 3YO Has Chicken Pox, but Had the Vaccine!?!?!?!

Can anyone tell me if what i'm looking at could be Chicken pox? My 3YO had the chicken pox vaccine (whenever you normally get them), but she developed what we thought was just a pimple on her buttock, then within the next few days turned into a total of like 15 or so. all in that area. She scratched at the first one the first day before i really had a chance to look at it - and it bled a little bit, but i stil didn't think much of it! then today (about 5-6 days later) i noticed that all of them (mostly) look like a little scab. almost like they had been picked at - but i don't think she actually did pick at them... Could this be what they call "breakthrough disease" as it pertains to chicken pox? Now my 5 yo (also had the vaccine) all of a sudden is complaining of a sore throat (no spots in there that i can see) and has a mild fever. Could she have gotten it too??

Ok - to most of you - thank you. There were some very helpful suggestions I received. To some who just seemed a little critical - No thank you. That's not what I was looking for. I have 4 children, I think I know to call the Dr. with something like this. I wasn't just going to leave it up to the Mamasource community to diagnose my child! Anyway - again - to most of you - that's what i was looking for - other possible suggestions.... Anyway - the Doctor checked out my 3Yo - it was not Chicken Pox, it was a form of dermatitus, which we are treating with Anti bacterial soap and unscented lotion. My 5Yo ended up having nothing more than a virus that needed to run it's course. Wasn't strep throat or anything. So - I just was hoping to bounce some stuff off some people who may have had similar situations....I already had a call into the Doctor, just didn't have a call back yet, and wasn't sure when it would be!

It could be impetigo. Very easy to get & spread especially if she is scratching it. (even clean looking nails can carry much bacteria!) My son started with what looked like one small pimple on his bottom and one day later it looked much worse--more red and more pimples. It was impetigo and he needed an antibiotic to clear it up. I would have it looked at asap, either way. Good luck!

Yes, it is possible she has chicken pox. The vaccines don't necessarily prevent children from getting pox altogether, they help to lessen the severity...atleast that's what my dr. told me after she'd already administered my twins. I wish you the best of luck!

It's possible. The Varicella vaccine is a LIVE vaccine, so it's possible for a child to get 'Pox from it. It also, is one of the lesser effective & long-lasting vaccines on the market today. Considering that childhood is the safest time to get Chickenpox & this vaccine is almost guaranteed to NOT last beyond the first several years of life, it's kind of scary. The only way to guarantee a life-long immunity is to get the virus.

If this IS the virus, hopefully it'll end up being a blessing that your children will be protected life-long.

There's some good info for treatment in "Vaccinations: A thoughtful parent's guide" by Aviva Jill Romm.

It doesn't sound like it to me. But if you suspect it you should take them in immediately to have them checked as it's contagious.

You can still get chicken pox even if you have the vaccine. It's not 100%. If a child does get it, it would be less.

Having the spots on just her bottom doesn't sound right. There's many things out there that can cause this, which is why a trip to the doc is warranted if you're concerned. The sore throat isn't typical with the pox although a fever can accompany it, but usually after it's hit with the spots. The spots generally are on the torso and will work it's way out. The younger they are, generally the less it will be, but not a rule. It is very itchy, and if a child scratches and gets under the nail it will spread quickly on the body and around the house. It's usually 2 weeks before it shows up on the next person. I don't think that's what it is though.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarrisburgPAChat
events and chat

Did they have any shots lately meaning flu shot or H1N1 within a month leading to this "rash"? I would check with your pediatrician they may be having a reaction or maybe something else. I know when the H1n1 was really at its highest the 1st thing the dr would ask is "any strange rashes" the odd thing about yours is that its on the buttox only-call the doc and let us know - good luck

Definately sounds like Chicken Pox! Lots of children still get a mild case with the vaccine. check under the arm pits and any other hot spots for more-behind the ears, etc. The main reason I think is because they have the sore throat and fever...what about congestion? I am a mom of one 10 year old but have worked with children forever so I know most childhood diseases.... plus I had chicken pox as an adult even though I had a mild case as a child:)

My son had that happen to him. From what I have heard it will give extra immunity against future chicken pox.

My oldest daughter had the vaccine and still had a tiny case of chicken pox. It was a patch right on the lower back near the top of her butt. It was itchy but she did not get very sick. My pediatrician said it was nothing to worry about. If you take her to her dr they can tell you right away. We just put anti itch cream on her.

Chicken Pox does not stay in 1 area. Could be a staph infection. I'd get her to the doctor. The other child's illness may be totally unrelated.

1 / 3