I Think Im Pregnant, but I Had a Tubal Ligation...

I had a tubal ligation done december 2006. recently i have started getting the symptoms of pregnancy.. I had a missed period swollen breast and nausea. I have never missed a period unless i was pregnant. Im not stressed or dieting or anything out of the norm. Does anyone know of anyone who has gotten pregnant after this procedure. plz let me know

Thank You Ladies for all of your great comments...but..... Im not pregnant I went to the doctor and he ran some test and they were negative. He did tell me to use protection for at least the first year.. He also said that reguardless of what contraception I use If GOD wants me prego thats the way its gonna be, I figured that much.

M.,
I got pregnant 10 months after having my tubes tied. When I was suppose to start my period I was having cramps. It just felt like I was about to start anytime. I even had spotting six days before I found out that I was pregnant. My second and third child are 19 months apart. At first my husband and I were shocked, but then we accepted the fact that the child was meant to be. Well after the last was born I had a partial hysterectomy. I had some other issues going on too. Good luck with everything.
D. S

My aunt had it happen to her after 14 years! My cousin got pregnant just 3-4 years after her tubal litigation. They used the same doctor, though... go figure. I've heard of it happening too often for me to be comfortable going that route.

Hi M.! I know there is a possibility of becoming pregnant when you've had a tubal ligation. I actually got pregnant 5 years after I had my tubes cut, tied and burned at the ends!! It was a shock to me. I had the symptoms of being pregnant but never even thought it could be because i was pregnant! I started having pain in my ovaries on a Thursday and scheduled an appointment to see my gyn on the Tuesday after Christmas and by that Tuesday I was in so much pain I couldn't sleep,eat and barely walk. I went to the emergency room that morning and fainted in the waiting room. They of course brought me right back and did a sonogram and found out that I had what is called a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, where you become pregnant but the fetus starts to grow inside the fallopian tube. Well my tube ruptured and I was bleeding internally. I had lost 2.5 pints of blood and the doctor said if I had not come when I did I would have died within 24 hours! They removed my fallopian tube and of course I'm fine now but it was extremely painful and I would hate for it to happen to anyone. So again i'm not sure if you have the same type of tubal but I would recommend going to the doctor as soon as possible to make sure everything is OK! I know this is quite a long story but if you or someone else reads this I hope it will help someone realize this can happen and to go to the doctor as soon as you start to feel pain! Good luck to you!!

It can happen but it is very rare. My cousin had it happen to her, and ended up having to abort the baby because of complications. If I were you, I'd see a doctor ASAP.

I do know a few people who have gotten pregnant after having that procedure, so it couldn't hurt to take a test!

It is very possible to be pregnant after a tubal. I think the first year has the highest risk. I've heard of quite a few people that have gotten pregnant afterwards. I would take a test if I were you.

It happened to me. I had the procedure done about 6 years prior to becoming pregnant. Needless to say, the pregnancy came as quite a shock to me. Thankfully, I did not have an ectopic pregnancy or any complications with the pregnancy. I now have a delightful 15 month old girl. If I were you, I would go to your OB/GYN as soon as possible to determine if, in fact, you are pregnant and, if so, that it is not an ectopic pregnancy.

Yes it can happen. My doctor and I discussed this very issue and she said she has seen a few cases. She told me it can take up to 3 years before it really is healed completely with all the scaring. I always ask my doctor if she can do a sonogram to make sure they are still tied cause my husband and I think our 3 kids(plus 3 c sections) are enough right now.
Please go see your doctor ASAP.

M.,
D. S

1 / 3