I Started Running and Now Im GAINING Weight!?

i started running/jogging/walking on a regular basis. i put the / in there because i take my dogs with me and with them stopping to sniff, pee, and poop its not one steady thing, but i try to run as much of it as i can get away with. i run downhill through a neighborhood street and then take the main roads back uphill to get back to my house. i take one dog with me, then come home and put her inside and take the other one through the same path. one of them is 90+ lbs and the other is 80+ lbs. so taking them together isnt really an option, they out weigh me by a LOT. doing the circle twice comes out to be a little over 1.6 miles. However, in the passed 2 weeks since i have been doing this on top of my normal, dancing, hula hooping, boxing, and toning work outs at night i have actually GAINED nearly 5 lbs! what is the deal!? i have been trying like hell to lose these same 10 lbs for the passed year and it seems every step that i make into making myself healthier and doing more makes me gain instead of lose!

I trained for a marathon and gained weight. It was very frustrating! I realized that after my runs I would often reward myself with food. Try to keep track of what you are eating now to see if you are subconsciously doing the same thing. A pound is a pound, if it's muscle or fat it's still a pound. You are not going to build much muscle running either.Good luck!

The other moms are right, muscle does weigh more than fat. I've also noticed that when I first start doing a cardio routine I want to eat a ton and I have to be very careful to not counteract what I'm trying to accomplish. For me the hunger levels off after a week or so, so hopefully you'll see results soon!

Do not go off what the scale says, but off how your cloths fit! Muscle weighs more than fat, so as you replace fat with lean muscle you may see the # on the scale move up, and that is OK! It means you are getting stronger! Also, remember that a woman's weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds before and after "that time of the month" as well.

Please don't be discouraged, but two weeks of 1.6 miles a day is not a long enough time or distance to see any measurable result. You didn't gain muscle that quickly, either. You are not doing too much cardio. Just keep being regularly active and you will see and feel the benefit. It just takes months, not days or weeks to really see any results.

I either run several miles or take a karate class almost every day. I can still gain 3-5 lbs in water weight because it is my PMS week, or I ate salty pizza the night before. I have stopped weighing myself every day and instead do it occasionally.

Do your best to stop living for getting rid of "these same 10 lbs" and just enjoy living actively and healthily.

Muscle mass is often more dense than fat.
If your clothes are a little looser, I wouldn't worry.
Exercise can stimulate your appetite.
Do not reward your hard work with food - drink more water.
Exercise is beneficial and good for you as long as you are not injuring yourself to do it.
But it doesn't always help with weight loss - you think it would - but weight loss can be complicated.
If it was easy there wouldn't be an obesity epidemic.

Get rid of your scale - you are starting to gain muscle and you may be retaining water weight, too. Drink more water - lots more, cut back on foods that are salty, and pay more attention to how your clothes are fitting. More power to you! I need to be doing what you are!

I'm just agreeing with everybody else. If you're doing the right things and eating properly, and the doctor says there's no problem, don't pay attention to the scale. Pay attention to how you look and how your clothing fits.

It's all about calories. You can exercise until your blue in the face, but if you over exceed your calories for the day, you WILL gain weight. I've had to diet since grade school : ( trust me.... I know the struggle. Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat, but pay attention what you're eating through out the day. Blessings....

1 / 3