I Need the Formula for Using Vinegar and Baking Soda to Clear Drains.

I need to know how to clear my drains without using caustic chemicals. What is the formula for using vinegar and baking soda. Do you use White or Yellow Vinegar? I have a floor drain that gets clogged and it has plumbing that cannot have caustic chemicals used on it.

I have been cleaning and unplugging with vinegar for 30 years. I use white vinegar as it is the least odorous and expensive. For a toilet I use 1/2 gallon, and add baking soda slowly as it foams rather quickly. Depending on the clog, I may use up to 2 cups of soda. For a floor drain, can you shut the valve so the vinegar solution stays in the pipes a while? If not, add vinegar and soda alternately, and keep a plunger handy. Good luck. Kate

It's equal parts white vinegar and baking soda. I imagine you could probably use yellow vinegar, too, since it is the acetic acid that reacts with the baking soda. You have to cover the drain as soon as you put the ingredients down there so that the gas that is created goes down the drain to clear it instead of out into the air. You also might have to do it quite a few times. I can get it to work for clogs that aren't too bad, but I haven't found a non-caustic trick for really badly clogged drains.

All you need to do is put equal parts baking soda and vinegar in the drain, 1/2 cup is good to start with. Put the baking soda in, then pour the vinegar in and let it sit for 15-30 minutes then rince!

Make sure you do it when the grandkids are around, the reaction is fun to watch!

I don't know the formula, but you have to be an amazing woman!

After the vinegar and baking soda have been in the covered drain, do your rinsing with HOT water. I like to boil a quart of water in the microwave and pour it down, followed by a few minutes of hot running water.

The friend that told me about it just said to empty about 1/2 a small box of baking soda into the drain and then add a cup or two of vinegar. Worked on my drains.

There is a website that is very handy for using vinegar for various things. I'm not sure of the name but if you type in what you're needing, it will probably bring it up. Good luck. By the way...white vinegar is what's used for things like this.

Pour 1 cup baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of hot vinegar (zap it in the microwave for 1 min.) Give it several min to work then add 4 cups of boiling water. repeat if necessary. :) You can also use 1/2 cup each of baking soda and salt, followed by 1 cup of boiling water. Let the mixture work overnight, then rinse with hot tap water in the morning. Wish you luck, blessings!

1 / 3