I Need a New bank...Help...

OK For the longest Time I had a Washington Mutual bank account. Obviously Chase took that over.
Anyway, I'm a SAHM with No income coming in. My bank account was kinda my safe spot for my kids savings or if my family wanted to send us money for presents for the kinds etc.
My mom put my Mother's day present $ in the account....
Well I just found out that Chase has been taking $15- $20 out each month!!

So Happy MOther's day to me, I got a cup of coffee and a box of tampons...
Apparently, you get charged those fees unless you have a minimum balance of $2,000 in your checking account. Ya I don't have $2k

So Mommies, Where can I find a new bank? One that doesn't have fee's for not having a lot of money, One that I can open with, close to no money, and won't bug me for not having a "pay check" coming in ever week??
Help :(

A credit union might work for you....

I don't know if you have TD Bank in Ohio - but their customer service rocks..

I would AVOID Bank of America like the plague...

A credit union might work for you....

I got pissed off after the government bank bailout and switched EVERYTHING over to a small local bank, even the credit cards. In order to stay competitive they offer lower fees, more flexibility, plus they are involved in the community on a local level. I've had it with the huge banks.

:)

Check your local Credit Unions. They will usually have more customer friendly accounts as they are non-for profit. Trust me, I worked in the banking industry for ten years, four of them at a Credit Union.

I would let Chase know I would be moving my account and why. Who knows, they may be able to give you a better account, and they may even refund some of the fees to keep your business. They have done that for me. If they don't work with you, then I would go eleswhere, ask people in your town who they bank with and do they like them.

Credit union, credit union, credit union!

We used to use Firstbank. I had them for over 20 years and my whole famliy used them. My dad was a known face and had great connections at our local branch, but by year 19, I hated them! They made several online payments after I canceled them and after taking 3 weeks to review decided there was nothing they could do about... over $400 gone.

We switched to USAA and we have never been happier. They are a military bank that has recently openned to the public. Their website is full of free information about everything from investing to basic loans and they even offer free financial consultation. You can get quotes about anything you need online or you can call a talk to a real person. There minimum for a checking account is $50 and a savings account is $25.
We use their mobile deposit so I can deposit my checks with my phone and the money is available in less than a minute.... lol I sound like a commercial.

Cannot say enough about USAA. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

I have a Commerce account that has never taken money out for a minimum balance for anything but bouncing a check, and I love that I can check it online.

Call the banks and ask about their fees. If you think you've found one that suits you, check their website for any fees the bank employee may have "forgotten" to tell you about.

Wells Fargo had my IRA. When I wanted my money they charged me $25 to get it. I had a dollar bill that was torn. Wells Fargo wouldn't let me deposit it. They said I had to send it off to the Bearu (sp?) of Printing and Engraving to get a new one, then they would deposit it. I'll never have an account with them again.

All of the banks are bad. They just don't care about the little account. I opened my first account for a nickle or a dime, and there were no charges. They wanted me to still bank with them as an adult. Now banks don't care.

With banks now paying $2 per year on a $1000 account, I'd buy a small safe and bolt it to the floor in your bedroom and put your money there. I've seen the one cubic foot safes go for less than $50. That way you don't pay any fees. OR get an internet bank account and a debit card.

Good luck to you and yours.

1 / 3