I Need a Holiday Craft That Will Interest 3Rd Grade BOYS

Hi everyone,

I've tried looking for inexpensive holiday craft ideas online that will INTEREST the boys in my daughter's 3rd grade class, but I haven't found "it". So... can you help me out by sharing an idea?

(I teach Girl Scouts/Brownies and the girls are always SO happy to do a craft, but I think the boys don't seem to be as interested once they hit this grade. My 8 yr. old son does, but I've asked his friends if they would like to make a craft while they are at my house and the answer is always NO! (Even if I think the suggested craft looks cool.) Now if I said.... Would you like to create a volcano and then see it erupt? Well... of course they'd say YES!) HOWEVER, I have been assigned by the room mom to be in charge of a craft for their upcoming party. (I think they all celebrate Christmas, but maybe I should ask first before I make Christmas crafts. (But if you have ideas, please share now.) Or how about.... snowman, etc... that's just related to winter.

I would like to know of your ideas soon so in case I need to start saving objects from around the house such as containers, egg cartons, etc..

Thanks so much!

The trick is to have something simple, fast drying AND interesting.. hmm.

decorating sugar cookies - premake or buy large sugar cookies in general winter shapes - star, snowmen, reindeer. LOTS of frosting. food coloring.

snowmen out of marshmellows

snowmen out of marshmellows

How about making gingerbread houses out of graham crackers? They can add the frosting and sprinkles themselves. We're having 2nd grade boys to our house for Christmas cookie decorating and they're very enthusiastic about it. Just let them do whatever they want when they decorate the houses and I think they'd be happy. Just don't call it a craft, though. :) The word craft sends my seven-year-old running!

I agree with CAWriter Mom...I used to teach 3rd grade and we always made other things, although for the life of me, I can't recall what they are right now...I'll have to get back to you...BUT, my 'neighbor' was a 4th grade room and she used to have the kids save their milk cartons from lunch and then use that as the base for their houses. They used graham crackers and frosting and candy, etc. All the kids loved it, even the boys! I will say most of my boys liked painting and glitter as much as the girls. OH...I remember, we made cinnamon ornaments (the kind with cinnamon and glue) and all the kids liked it. We used it as a gift for their parents and they got to roll out the dough and use cookie cutters, all of them liked it. You could also make snowman out of modeling clay or something and use pipe cleaners, felt, buttons, etc. to decorate.

How about cutting paper snowflakes? Cheap and always fun!

I need to add making reindeer food.

Really simple just mix oatmeal, red crystal sugar and green crystal sugar (Glitter can be harmful to birds and other animals so avoid adding that)
Place ingredients in a baggie and attach this poem to it (kids can write this down on an index card)

Sprinkle on the lawn at night
The moon will make it sparkle bright
As Santa's reindeer fly and roam
This will guide them to your home.

I think it is in the way you describe it--at that age "crafts" are "girly" to them, and they are "BOYS!" (lol!).

I don't have any great ideas per se, but maybe describing the activity more, rather than less, would make it more appealing: Do you want to do some wood etching with a hot iron? (that was one my brothers did in Boy Scouts).

You might try googling "simple science projects for boys" or something like, and/or adding the age range. Good luck!

Take a picture of each kid. Let them make a picture frame.
My son's teachers have bought puzzles and let the kids paint the plain side to glue onto posterboard pre-cut with a back and a "mat" frame for the front.
Also, frozen juice can lids can be decorated with glitter, a photo, buttons. Glue a magnet strip on the back and mom has a refrigerator magnet.
Boys this age don't like "crafting", but they like making things for their moms.
I hope you get some great ideas.

Best wishes!

My boys pretty much like most crafts, but they love paper bag puppets and making anything out of craft sticks.

I was going to do baby jar luminaries for my boys. Use a tea light candle, tissue paper and some christmas shapes out of reg paper so it blocks the light. I was going to use homemade papier mache paste as glue. The sugar makes it glossy.

You could also do melted crayon luminaries with paper bags as well. Cut out a rectange hole in bag, Construction paper cut out for leading lines, and wax paper and crayon shavings for the "stained glass". I've also just had them color nice on simple copy paper and rubbed mineral oil on the paper to make it translucent.

First, good for you! How wonderful that you are so involved in your children's classes, scout troops, etc.

Next, I don't have specific craft advice for you
but wanted to bring up some components,
items you may not have thought of.

Pine bark, pine cones, little branches, acorns;
artificial twigs, ferns, etc., from a craft store;
dry cereal, elbow macaroni;
the rings from the tops of milk and juice bottles;
I may think of more later.

1 / 3