I Have Had My Period for 7 Weeks, I Am Weak and Looking for Answers

Before anyone says go to the doctor, I have. They aren't sure what is going on. I am hoping someone else has had similar situation that could give me advice. Here goes.
I am 37 years old, not pregent, but have had ovarian cysts in the past. My current period started on Aug 7th and is still going. My last period started Jun 9th. I first went to my doctor because of pain in my ovaries. Which has been on and off for 2-3 years now. Sometimes so bad that I have to stop what I am doing, and not even percription pain killers help. I saw my OB/GYN on Aug 7th. regarding the pain, they gave me a script for blood work (hormones) and to have internal and external ultrasound of my uterus. We the blood work came back normal and the ultrasound showed a cyst in my left ovary. Not the first time I had one there. The doctor scheduled me for a follow up ultrasound in December. Saying the cyst should go away in a few cycles. On September 7th I was checking on my blood work and told the nurse my period was still happening (1month straight at this time) They scheduled an appointment for the next monday. I saw the doctor, we confirmed I wasn't pregnant, gave me birth control pills and a script for more blood work (CBC). I called a week later asking when I should worry that my period hasn't stopped (now at 5 weeks). They said by the end of the birth control pack. And that they weren't sure if birth control would stop the bleeding. At the days went on I was getting more and more tired. Yesterday I didn't even have the energy to make dinner without stopping 3 times to sit and rest. I am not overworking myself. I own my own company and set my own hours. If anyone has had a similar condition please let me know. I am worried that my OB/GYN is not sure what is going on or how to fix it.

Thank you all for your advice. I went to my OB/GYN and they percribed be a high dose birth control, said I can schedule for a biopsy; and suggested that I see my primary for the tiredness. So I went to my primary doctor and she explained to me all the things my OB/GYN didn't. One of which was my cyst is the size of a big ovary (ouch), no wonder it hurts. She also suggested I get a second opinion. She had me do bloodwork for ovarian cancer and redo my hemoglobin to see if it is still dropping. She told me to go ahead and do the biopsy, the blood work. She also gave me the name of another OB/GYN to see. I will see them in about 2-3 weeks when I have all my reports to bring to them. Til then I just keep on going, the iron is helping a little, I hope the high dose birth control with stop the bleeding. Thank you again for all your advise

I agree with most of the ladies on here. I would get very persistant with your current doctor, or find another one! I have a history of ovarian cysts which I was later diagnosed with PCOS...irregular periods, cysts, etc. Heavy bleeding for a long period of time, can cause the anemia. I would definately try the high iron foods. I had an episode about two years ago. I had delivered my twins in April...had a normal cycle after their birth. Had a few cycles like normal, every few months. I had the twins in APril. The following February, I had horrible bleeding, cramps, etc. I was soaking thru the pads every hour and thought I would die. I went to my OB/GYN, they did an exam, bloodwork, u/s, and gave me 2 RX on for Iron and the other was to stop the bleeding. He told me to go home, rest, and if by taking the RX for the bleeding hadn't stopped within 48 hours, to call him back. He called me at home several times during the 48 hours. My period had stopped. Bloodwork and everything was normal. They thought I could have been pg and was having an early m/c. Turns out that it was just because of the PCOS...which is normal. But, if the bleeding hadn't stopped they were going to do an emergency D&C. At least it would stop the issue. I've had it happen a few more times and just usually I get the RX for the bleeding. After those episodes, everything has cleared up...and I'm even now having a regular cycle after 8 years of not having them or them being irregular.
Have the Thyroid checked and check out PCOS...could be something, given your history of the cysts.
I know this may sound goofy, but you might want to call an RE (Reproductive Endocronologist), they are usually used for trying to get PG, but if you are having issues with your female parts, they might be able to stear you in the right direction. Mine found polyps along with more cysts prior to my starting to conceive with fertility drugs. It is their speciality.
Hope you find out what is going on. Keep us posted so we know what they say!
Take care,
God Bless,
Pensacola, FL
Mom to Ashleigh & Austin ~ 2.5 yrs old

Could it be possible that you may have been pregnant, and had an early miscarriage? I had one at 12 weeks last summer, and continued to bleed for about 6 weeks. Turns out that a tiny bit of tissue was still connected or something, and the bleeding was my body trying to flush it out.

I had to keep going back and having tests, but once the tissue came out, I stopped bleeding in a couple of days.

Hi K. < My daughter started her period at a young 11 1/2, She is now 13 and since she has had it, over a year and a half, she has been regular like clockwork, as a matter of fact I could time mine around hers( that thing they say when you live with other women, your cycle some how becomes the same, IS TRUE.)LOL....Well anyway in July she told me she needed more pads and I had just bought enough to last 3 months or more in June, when I asked how she went through that many pads, she had told me she hasn't stopped bleeding since MAY..She actually bled for the whole entire summer.. I was immediately worried and took her to her 1st Ob/gyn appt. They did an entire work up on her, a full Pap, breast exam, etc..The doctor(She) was so wonderful, she ended up giving her these pills to take for 10 days (it wasn't a birth control) they way she explained it to me..It was like a mini DNC...After my daughter took them, her period got really heavy for a few days then really lite, then nothing..It went totally away..And then about 20 days later she got another period, and then that one only stayed a day or two, Now this month has been totally regular again, and not as much cramping and pain..I don't know who your OB Doc is but I was so impressed with Dr.Michelle Lemay in Bradenton, I started using her as my personal OB Doctor as well(I have a history of ovarian cysts, and breast cysts.) Good Luck.. I hope this helped...P.

I know this may not be of much help, but have you gotten a second opinion? a third? That would be my course of action.

K.,
If I was you I would get a second opinion. You can't keep bleeding like that. My periods had gotten so bad that when I told my doctor about it after a couple of visits to him he got to the bottom of it. I was so weak that I became anemic and that's how it sounds with you. I want to give you my doctors name maybe you can give them a call and at least tell them and they may see you but this needs to stop.
Dr. Robert Brauner
13601 Bruce B. Downs Suite 150
###-###-####
Let me know if this help and you'll be in my prayers.

Dear K.,

Been there done that.

1.) First thing you need to do is start eating things that will help the blood loss. Here is a list; watermelon, apricots, raisins, cottage cheese. Another very good one is liverwurst, it has the highest iron content. Double up on lots of greens. Salads, spinach, any greens. You can take a supplement called dessicated liver. The standard iron supplements in a regular store or pharmacy are very binding.

2.) Ask some friends if they know of a good chiropractor. Sometimes a spinal adjustment helps.

3. I looked up in one of my medical books and it said vitamin E everyday, minimum 600 units daily. Go to healthfood store and purchase a really good multi vitamin and start taking twice a day along with extra vitmin C and E.

4. Get your thyroid checked out. It is a specific blood test. The thyroid can effect the menstral cycle markedly.

That is all of the information that I have. Hope it helps.

Hi K. I do not know if this is the same or not but My co worker had what sounds to be the same problem. Her doctor had to put her on birth control that has a really high level of hormones and when she started she had to take 3 at a time for so many days and then 2 for so many days and then go to the normal dose. Also I had a similar problem except was not bleeding for so long but had severe pain and heavy bleeding. That went on for two years before they did exploratory surgery and found indemetriouses which is very common. You might want to ask your doctor about these things. Good Luck Becky

I'm with Michelle - I think you should seek a second opinion - the sooner the better! Your current doctor is obviously not giving you satisfactory care.

1 / 3