I Have a Stubborn Almost 3 Yr Old Who Does Not Want to Learn His Shapes, Colors

My almost 3 year old son is so stubborn! I have tried everything to get him to know his colors, shapes and abc's and he just says "no mama don't teach" I have tried making games out of it. Any suggestions?

Thank you ladies for the great advice!

i have 3 stubborn boys- 2yr, 3 yr, and 6 yrs, good luck with that. ha ha, no actually i have to say - keep it up- he is learning more than you know- just sing abc's around the house and count while he is around. point out colors in general conversation , ie. "look at that big green truck" it is just his way of being "in control" while he is trying to find his place and boundaries. he really is soaking up the info! good luck- K.

I agree with the other moms. Don't push it. I tried when my son was younger too and it didn't work. He's almost 4 now and has so much interest in shapes/colors/letters & numbers that it's almost a hassle to go anywhere because he asks so many questions!! Also, I would limit the amount of time he watches TV - limit it as much as possible.
One thing I noticed about my son also, was that I thought he was being stubbon about not wanting to learn, but he actually gets nervous under pressure (a 3 year old!!) and so his answer was just to tell me no. Now that he's gotten through that stage he WANTS to be the center of attention :)
Best of luck,
Jen

Don't push it. I remember being concerned when my then 4 year old showed no interest in learning his ABCs. None. He didn't want to look at them..didn't want to learn how to write them. Right before Kindergarten, he became interested all on his own...with no prompting from me. He would spend hours copying letters and asking me how to spell words.

This is going to sound bad, but do you let them watch TV? I would never say this is the BEST way for it to be done, but it worked for my son. He seemed stubborn when I tried to get him to learn this stuff. Then he watched Barney and Thomas the train. At 2 years old he was signing his ABC's (except L M N O are just blurred) counting to ten and could tell me what color his favorite engines were. I also got him some of the talking puzzles so when he was playing on his own he would have that help. However, they are very annoying because they go off at every little thing (sunlight, turning lights on and off). still, I think they have helped.
Mostly, I would just keep saying it. You can stop quizing him and just say things like: Look at that red car, that ball is the shape of a circle. Sing the ABC's just as a song and count things out yourself, like as you are putting toys away. He will be taking in ALL of it, he just doesn't want to "perform". My son never does something or repeat something if I really want him to, especially in front of people. One day you will over hear your son counting or singing and know that he gets it!
Oh, side walk chalk works well too. I don't quiz him, I just tell him I am making a yellow sun or a green square. Once he gets more comfortable, he might start answering questions from you more.

I'd say your son is pretty smart if he can tell you not to teach him. Have you tried asking him? Does he ever watch the tv show on nick jr. that are about shapes/colors/numbers/letters? Does he ever interact with those shows? Just because he doesn't want to answer the questions, doesn't mean he doesn't know them. Some children want to keep it all to themselves. You can ask him what is his dinner plate in the shape up. buy some arts/crafts shapes at wal-mart they are the foamy sticker kinds. One day to circles on paper, another day do squares. Let him choose his art work. Then when he is done and proud of himself, he just might tell you what the shapes are!

Does he like sports? Get him outside to kick a ball...he'll start opening up to you. You can ask him what all the things are outside (tree, bird, sky, moon, stars) They love to tell YOU!

Music, music, and more music. They don't even know they are learning.They are great CD's about shapes and colors. It worked for my 3 children. I hope it works for you. Just keep on listen even when you are sick of hearing it!

I would bet that he knows them all already! When my now 8 year old was 2, we didn't think that she knew any colors, or how to count or anything (and we didn't care, either) but whenever something went missing, she would "slip up" and ask for her green crayon, for example, or know that she didn't have all of something (counting), etc. She also knew her ABCs long before we realized it, and how to spell her name.
Having a stubborn child can be very frustrating, but I just keep telling myself that a stubborn child is usually more self sufficient, and will not succumb to peer pressure!!! Stubborn people are usually born leaders, not followers.

I had my son tell my colors by eating M&M's. I would take out about 10 each time we did this and he only got to eat it if he named the color the right way. It worked for him.

1 / 3