I HATE The Term "Stay at Home Mom"!

I HATE the term "Stay At Home Mom"! I have a 10 month old and a 4 year old and I do not work outside the home. And by work I mean earn a paycheck. I am rarely home. I am up and out of the house (with the kids) by 8 every morning. I am going to the gym, the grocery store, running errands, dropping off at preschool, Target you name it. When I am home I'm doing laundry, dishes, cleaning, wiping butts and noses, or doing the books for my husband's cabinet shop. When I hear "Stay At Home Mom" I think of Peggy Bundy watching soaps and eating Bon Bon's all day. That's not me! Not even close! There has to be a more accurate label for women like me.

Oh, this is making me laugh thinking of my three years as a "stay-at-home" mom. I read an article in a magazine one day and applied their advice on how to respond when asked what I did. Here is what happened. I was asked at a charity dinner with my husband and other working types what I did and I indicated that I was conducting hands-on field research in the area of early child development. The response back were things like, "How fascinating", or "that must require a lot of energy". Try it, it works. Also, I think full-time Mom is a more appropriate title.

I would give anything to be able to call myself a Stay at Home Mom. If I had the oppotunity to quit my job and be home to take care of my family and run my home full time, you could call me anything you wanted! Appreciate what you have and don't worry about what others think. You know how hard you work and how important you are.

I'm with ya, sister!!! I have a 22 month old crazy boy and a 6-1/2 month old girl! Life is busy. I like the "House Executive" title that someone wrote!! let's go with that one.........

Research Associate in the field of
Child Development and Human Relations:

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk's office
Was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.

She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.

"What I mean is," explained the recorder,
"do you have a job or are you just a......?"

"Of course I have a job," snapped the woman.

"I'm a Mom."

"We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, 'housewife' covers it,"
Said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the
Same situation, this time at our own Town Hall.

The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised,
Efficient and possessed of a high sounding title like,
"Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar."

"What is your occupation?" she probed.

What made me say it?
I do not know.
The words simply popped out.
"I'm a Research Associate in the field of
Child Development and Human Relations."

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair and
Looked up as though she had not heard right.

I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words.
Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written,
In bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest,
"just what you do in your field?"

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice,
I heard myself reply,
"I have a continuing program of research,
[what mother doesn't)
In the laboratory and in the field,
(normally I would have said indoors and out).
I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family)
And already have four credits (all daughters).
Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities,
(any mother care to disagree?)
And I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it).
But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are

More of a satisfaction rather than just money."

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she
Completed the form, stood up and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career,
I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3.
Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model,
(a 6 month old baby) in the child development program,
Testing out a new vocal pattern.
I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy!
And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than
"just another Mom." Motherhood!

What a glorious career!
Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers
"Senior Research associates in the field of
Child Development and Human Relations"
And great grandmothers
"Executive Senior Research Associates"?
I think so!!!
I also think it makes Aunts
"Associate Research Assistants".

I always say that I am the CEO of a non-profit organization!

I was at a loss the first time I went through Customs after quitting my job to raise my kids so I fumbled on the answer to my occupation. The Customs Agent told me the official job title for someone in my position - running the house, raising the kids (circa 2000) is "Residental Administrator". I like that one so much, I put it on our tax returns now.

Whats wrong with just saying your a MOM! It is no ones business, whether you work for a paycheck or not. Being a mother is work and if you are lucky enough not to have a second job outside the house more power to you. Our mothers weren't call stay at home MOms they were just moms.

Why are you worried? You have a gift of being able to stay at home with your kids. Not every woman is blessed with that. Are you feeling like your not doing enough? Why the big insecurity? If you love what you do, don't worry about what others say.
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

why let it bother you what your job title is? I don't think most people who hear the term "stay at home mom" actually think of Peggy Bundy OR that we ACTUALLY spend the entire day in the house. And those who do ... clearly aren't worth worrying about in the first place because they are morons.

I personally, VERY proudly say I've been a stay at home mom for the past 15 years. And I'm now proudly going back to school. My husband and I made the choices we felt were best for us and our children and anyone who doesn't like that or thinks I "do less" can take a long walk off a short pier.

What others think about what I do means nothing. I know what I do and I know the truth about it and so do the people who MATTER in my life. Everyone else, their opinions just don't matter to me.

1 / 3