I Feel like I'm Under water....HELP!!!

I have an ear infection in both ears and I feel like my whole head is under water, because of the fluid in my ears. My left ear is ringing and my right ear is popping. I went to the doctor on Monday and they gave me some antibiotics. I have taken my third dose of meds this morning, and my ears still have no improvement. So my question is how do I get the feeling of being under water to go away?? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you.

Have you tried an antihistamine to dry up the fluid? It usually takes a couple to three days for antibiotics to work. If not feeling better by Monday I would call the doc. again and see if they can give you something else.

When you saw the Dr., were your ears cleaned out? My husband had this prob over the last few weeks. He jumped in the pool and got water stuck in his ear. It bothered him to the point that he couldn't hear out of one ear within 7 days. I had an ENT appt, and he tagged along. She took one look and said he needed to have it cleaned. The water being trapped caused there to be this waxy buildup so she suctioned it all out and put in anitbiotic drops. There was a lot of junk in there, and he began to have immediate relief, with most of his symptons going away within a few days with no other treatment necessary.

D. S.

If you haven't had any relief or for future ear problems, I recommend Garlic oil/willow bark. You can get it at the health food store. Garlic is a natural antibiotic. I have given this to my oldest child when she had a couple of earaches and she got immediate relief and even fell asleep on the way home. Also, be sure you are drinking enough water and staying away from refined sugar and dairy products. Dairy makes your body produce more mucus. Many docs prescribe antibiotics for ear ailments even if it is not proven that it is bacterial. Antibiotics actually slow down the healing of viral infections. Also, stay away from processed foods as much as possible. If you have an ongoing ear infection, it could be a fungal infection. My neighbor had this happen and went on several rounds of antibiotics before this was discovered. Hope you are feeling better...

You need a decongestant to dry up the fluid trapped under the eardrum. Try Mucinex in the dark navy & white box. You can get it at Walmart. (My daughter just had the same thing and the doctor instructed her to do this.)

I read alot of your other responses. This is not like water in your ear. It is fluid (mucus) that is trapped behind the ear drum. Antibiotics are for infection, not fluid. Hair dryers, hopping with your head tilted, swimmer's ear drops are not going to solve this. And oil in your ear is a breeding ground for bacteria. You may want to give your doctor a call back and just see what he suggests before doing anything or go talk to a pharmicist.

A little about me: I am a 45 yr. old Registered Nurse with 2 grown children, 20 & 24.

I know this may sound silly but it has worked for me in the past. If you have fluids in your ears tilt your head to the side and hop. It usually works right away, but I have to repeat the process a couple of times to clear it all out. Hope it helps.

Okay, this is going to sound weird but it works. Heat up a garlic clove either in a pan or the microwave (about a minute). Let it cool a little just enough to not burn your skin. Then, put it in your ears. What it does is that the heat the garlic releases goes into your ears and releases the pressure causing the pain. This is a temporary fix though - it does not cure the infection. Good luck.

I don't think anyone has told you about valsalva. It is when you close your mouth, hold your nose closed, and blow as hard as you can. It will force air into your eustacian tubes and can help clear out the fluid. My pediatrician just taught my daughter to do it because allergies have caused her to have fluid build up. Some people can do it by opening wide and wiggling their jaws back and forth, or yawning really wide over and over. That has never worked for me...just hold and blow! Good luck!

I'm not sure about the under water feeling but, peroxide works wonders for ear infections. Just pour a capful in each ear & allow it to drain out. You should do this at least twice a day. You should feel a great difference the following day. Warm, sweet oil afterwards will lubricate the tissue in your ears & reduce the swelling caused by the infection. Pour a capful of the warm sweet oil after the peroxide treatment, then stuff the ear with cotton. Be sure not to make the sweet oil too hot. The sweet oil is available at Walgreens. My daughter was experiencing an ear infection & I followed these procedures then took her to the Dr. the next day. The Dr. asked what had I done, when I told her, she said that was great because the infection was gone. I've been doing it eversince, & it has kept me out of the Doctor's office.

1 / 3