I Don't Understand Baby/Toddler Shoe Sizing

Ok help me out, how do I find out what size he is? I'm looking at some cute shoes online, it just has a measurement for the shoe: for example, size 4 is 4.5 inches. I'm guessing this is too long/big for a 13 month old. But on the Carter's site, it looks like he wears a size 3 or 4 according to their size charts (which go my months) am I missing something? how the heck do you figure this out? Are they the same size across the board like w/ adult shoes?

I take my kids into the shoe store at the start of every season and have them sized there. I don't want to end up buying shoes that are too narrow or too long/short and don't support their feet properly.

print this out and measure:

http://www.pediped.com/Files/content/ShoeSizingChart_Oct2...

Go to a shoe store and get your son sized. They have that fancy thing with the slides that will determine the best size. Months' sizing can vary radically. My son has long feet like his daddy, so we always get a fresh measurement/sizing when purchasing shoes, just in case he grew a size or two.

And no, some sizes are not the same across the board. We loved See Kai Run shoes and they size in European centimeters, I believe.

Size 4 is probably about right for a 13 month old. The sizes should be the same across the board, but like any shoe, it may vary a little by manufacturer. I've never been able to buy shoes online for my kids, because even if they wore a 4 last month, who knows what they wear now! Unless you know for sure, it's probably best to have the child try the shoes on before buying them.

I have one of these shoe sizers I bought from One Step Ahead.
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId...

I love it as I can keep it right at the changing table and check once a month or so. I've had my daughter outgrow shoes in 3 months and she's 2 1/2 so it's nice to have on hand. You can't go by age you have to go by foot size. The age listed on websites is only a guess and an average. My daughter has always had bigger then her age feet, she's also just bigger over all than her age. My boys were similar.
Payless is good at measuring kids feet for the most part. You can go there and then buy online.
Shoe sizes are pretty standard. If my daughter is an 8 she's an 8 where ever I've bought them. You might get some fluctuation like you do from any brands but typically I find them true to size no matter where I buy them from.

Unless you are talking about buying robeez style soft shoes, I would go to a store get him sized and buy shoes that he has tried on first. My DD had long and skinny feet, she was different sizes in different brands depending on whether they ran small or large and how wide the shoes were.
I know I may be in the minority, but I firmly believe that improper shoes during the first years of life set kids up for a host of issues (from foot to back problems and hating to walk because their feet hurt), so this is really the ONLY baby/kid product that I do not skimp on. As a matter of fact I spend much more money on my DD's shoes than on my own...
I recommend going to a Nordstrom's or Stride ride for sizing and then take it from there.

I just took my son in and had him sized at the store.

They ALWAYS go up 1/2 size for room to grow. OTW you're buying new shoes every 2-3 months.

I agree with everyone. Measure or go get him measured. At that age they can change shoe size every three months, and my dd did! Nordstrom rack has great quality shoes for decent prices. The inventory changes often.

1 / 3