I Can't Seem to Keep My House Clean!

I have been having an issue lately with keeping our house clean. I have very organized cupboards and closets with a spot for everything. I just can't seem to get a handle on the laundry, dishes and mail pile. All of these seem endless. I am home all day and feel like I should be able to keep the house clean, but I can't. I have had enough and would love suggestions for creative or organizational ideas for staying on top of these things. Thank you in advance!

I put in a similar request a few months ago and I had about 6 people recommend flylady.net. I started getting her email reminders and it has helped me tremendously. Not only do I get my house clean but I can stay on top of it fairly easily. Wow! What a difference. good luck!

I have the same problem!!! Sometimes I feel like I just don't have the time. I try to set aside one day out of the week to just do the house work that needs to be done.

I am having the same issue, but I am a little more of the type that rather spend my time playing with my child then cleaning all day. What I do to keep things manageable is to pick one chore for each day and not worry about everything else. If it isn't kitchen day, I will run hot soapy water in the sink for the dishes or rinse them right after the meal so they don't get smelly. My 2 year old will help me do a fun clean up game at the end of the day before bed along with my 7 year old. It is best to teach them early and make it fun....maybe have a song playing to pick up to or something to sing along with that they like. I can relate to the laundry, and mail pile too. What I do is go through the mail as I get it in really quickly and sort out the junk, then post bills on a bulletin board we have for each time my hubby gets paid. The laundry can run as I play with my sons, and I put it away when we go up for changing diapers and such as he likes to play in his room with certain toys. I will put my older child's clothing away while my younger is asleep on school days even. Just have to keep in baskets a while until I get time to put them away.

you can try some of these suggestions, i have been doing this for years when i was in nursing school and then when i was working, it works for me. as soon as i get up i throw a load of laundry in the washer. by the time im ready for work it is done and it goes int eh dryer. as soon as i come home i trow another load int eh wash and right before it go to bed i put it in the dryer. with dishes, i keep a sinkful of soapy water and whoever uses a dish wahses it out right away and puts it away. i make it a poitn to washe everyting as im cooking and when i finish with my meal i wash what is left over. i have to do that now because my boys are out of the house now. but we used to take turns. they started washing their own dishes when they were 4. we never had a dishwasher. they started doing the last cooking dishes on their own when they were 5. they got extra money that way so they would fight over who did the last dishes. we get outr mail froma post office so i learned only to pick it up once a week. i sort it out and keep only the important mail. the catalogs and magazines go into a basket and if they dont get looked at by the next week, they are thrown out. bills go into another basket and they get paid before the next pile of mail comes in. also with laundry, i have 4 garbage cans. whites go in one, colors in another, jeans in another and towels and sheets in aother so it is easier to just throw the laundry in every day. i fold each load and set the clothes on the separatae beds after each load is taken out. if it is not put away by the next day, that goes into a grabage bag and they dont get to use it for a month. when my oldest ran out of socks he had to go without socks for three weeks so he never did it again. when my hsuband didnt put hsi underwear away, he went out and bought new ones but he sitll didnt have enough for the enxt three weeks so he had to do underwear on his own time. lundry time is qalso a good way to sort out clothes that dont fit anymore or socks that doent have partners and clothes that need to go to the trhift store or thrown away. that way you dont have a bundh of clothes taking up room in drawers that cant be used.when there were 4 of us we each took a week of putting sheets and towels away, now my husband and i take turns. oncew every three months we do a big house cleaning. we do it on a weekend and then everyone gets rewarded with as special outing. or at the suggestion of the kids we did it twice and and took a two day outing.

Hi R.!

I know exactly how you feel! I had the same problem and it seemed never ending also. I know it is hard but with a little bit of luck we can get you going. FIrst thing I did was set a full day aside for nothing but laundry. (I choose sunday because my hubby is home and he can deal with the kiddos while I do my stuff) When you get up in the morning first thing is sort the laundry, and throw in a load. Then go about a normal morning. As the loads get done don't put off folding and putting away, this is how you get behind. Just fold and put away right away! As far as the dishes go, I empty in the morning when I get up, load throughout the day, if its full at night I will run it. If not I wait until its full then run it. This way there are never any dishes in the sink! The mail is the hard part for me. It took me a whole weekend to get caught up in it. Now I have a box with folders in it and a shreddar (sp?. I have hanging files in the box and as the mail comes in I file it by two weeks from the date due. If it is something that is trash I shred it. As the days go by I check and if there is something to pay I pay it then shred it. Keeps my mail down and I also pay everything on time!

Good Luck!!

check out www.Flylady.net

R.,

I sympathize since I have the same feelings about certain aspects of my home. I don't seem to have a place yet for everything. However, I have found that I feel better when keep certain areas (that stress me) under control.

I also do certain things together and have built some habits. I work full time, so when my daughter is eating her breakfast, I load the dishes from the night before into the dishwasher and pack her lunch. That way I'm with her and we are chatting (she's 2) and I'm getting my "chores" accomplished. Since I have things to accomplish, I don't rush her during breakfast like I use to.

With mail, immediately I recyle the junk, set up the payment in my bank account for bills, and pile the magazines that I hope to read one day. That leaves a few miscellanous items that can build up quickly (haven't figure them out). I also signed up online to decrease the catalogs that are sent my way.

Laundry is a battle that I haven't won yet. :) I found front loading washers did cut decrease the load count each week. The washing/drying is okay but folding and putting away does me in.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing how others keep on top of it.

D

Hi R.,
I can relate to what you're saying. Several years ago I was introduced to FlyLady. What a huge blessing that has been. She is a real lady with a great website for getting organized, keeping your home clean, and learning to love yourself in the process. Check out www.flylady.net. It has helped me in so many ways.
Blessings!
www.homebasedabundance.biz

Hi R., I can relate. I too struggle with keeping our house clean and tidy. I just read a book (A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George) and in it she has some practical advice in this area. I see you have children, obviously depending on their age, this will vary. Have your children help. I have two boys 6 & 4. Since they were two I started having them put their clean clothes I washed and folded, away in their dressers. Now, they help load and unload the dishwasher (putting the dishes and cups down in a lower cabinet) and also they are responsible for folding and putting away all the towels in the house. I have them help with the laundry when they want to watch a tv program. It doesn't sound like much, but I'll tell you that the 20 minutes saved I've put to good use elsewhere. I also have them help when I vacuum, they go into the room ahead and move things off the floor and help with the cord, then when I'm done, they put things back. They also seem to enjoy being "family helpers".
Take care,

Hi R.,
I understand the difficulty.... as my kids grow it seems easier to keep my house picked up. A couple things I do....
1. I try to always have my house tidy before I go to bed - especially the kitchen. That way I wake up to a clean house.
2. I found that if my bedroom is a mess & I don't make my bed then the rest of the house is messy the rest of the day! My sister has found that if her kitchen is messy then the house stays messy all day. So the first thing I do when I get up is make my bed..... getting up earlier than the kids helps me too (don't always do it - but feel very organized when I am put together before they are awake).
3. I have a large counter in my kitchen that I put my basket of clean laundry on to fold the clothes.... since I have my kitchen clean by the time I go to bed that motivates me to have the laundry put away from the counter. I also have my kids put their own clothes away.... I have 6, 4, & 2 yr. old girls. The 2 yr. old will take her stuff into their room & I will obviously put it away.... the other 2 put all their clothes away - I still fold the clothes that go in their drawers though.
4. I have found the older my kids get the more jobs I have them do. My 6 yr. old will empty the dishwasher.... anything she can't reach to put away she will put under the cupboard where it goes & then I will put it away. My 4 ys. old puts away the kids cups (which is in a cupboard that she can reach) & all the silverware. They collect the trash around the house for me, make their own beds, & for sure pick up their own toys.
I hope this helps.... I know it has taken me a while to get to the point where I feel like I have a system. I am like you & am very organized, but for a while felt that I couldn't always keep my house picked up. Good luck. :) ~C.

1 / 3