I Can't Potty-Train My 3 Year Old Son!

I'm having a dreadful time trying to potty-train my son . . . Nothing works! I have done everthing I've heard of - putting him in underwear, reading potty books together, reward chart, stickers, treats, praises and privileges. I've heard that boys will decide on their own when they want to be potty-trained. I would like it sooner than his older cousins, who finally were potty-trained by age 5 1/2. I've run out of ideas, is there anything I haven't tryed? Any information will help. Thank you to all who will respond.

I tried everything that people suggested, and the only thing that worked was leave him alone. I just stopped bugging him about going potty, then he started to go to the potty on his own! He goes poop in there every time (no more stinky diapers!), but he still has a hard time always getting there to go pee. Thank you to everyone that responded, it all was very helpful. :-)

I potty trained my daughter using Dr. Phil's method. My brother also potty trained both his kids (boy and girl) and my other brother potty trained their daughter using this method and we all had great success. Here is the link with the instructions. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Good luck!

http://www.eztrain.biz/drphil.html

Honestly, if he isn't showing any interest I'd back off, put all the potty books and potty away and let it go for a month or so. If he's not ready, he's not ready and you are setting yourself up for a lot of frustration. It seems to me the more you push when they aren't ready the less likely they'll respond positively. Good luck.

Hi! I also had a really hard time training my son. What I finally learned is that no matter how hard I push, if they're not ready, it just won't happen, no matter how much you want it to. I would suggest just giving it up for now and try again in a few months, maybe when summer's here and it's warmer (both my girls were trained in the summer and it only took a couple of weeks). I used to let them run around with minimal clothes (read: naked) so it was much easier getting to the potty in time. Maybe next time around it will be easier for you and for Alexander. Good Luck!!

My son is 2 1/2 and is starting pre-school in July, and was ready for school, shapes, colors, some word recognition, but we couldn't get him to use the potty at all. Finally about 2 months ago, I stopped buying diapers for him, and stocked up on lots of regular underwear that he picked out himself. He would wear the underwear and then wet himself and go and get a diaper because he just didn't want to do it. One day he went into his room to get a diaper and they were all gone and he said "great they are all gone, now I will pee in the potty" and that was the end of the fight, I still had to wash all of his underwear everyday for the first four or five days, but now he goes in the potty and can do it by himself. I wish you the best of luck.

my son is 3 and a half and he just got potty trained almost 2 weeks ago.i took away his security,his diapers.he kept wanting to ware them bc my daughter who is 19 months wares them and he wants to be like her.but one day i said no more diapers and you better not pee your pants and i got him all excited to go on the toilet.he is compleatly potty trained,i did it in one day.and i took away the diapers at bedtime to.if you dont give them anything to drink a half hr to an hr before bed he most likely wont pee the bed.my son hasnt peed the bed in over a week,thats when i stopped daipers at bed time.let me know how that works.i was in your shoes 2 and a half weeks ago.i swore up and down he was gonna never be or he was gonna be like 5 but all of a sudden in one day no more diapers.even when you go somewhere do not put a diaper on him just tell him how naughty it was if he pees his pants and tell him hes not gonna go to school cuz only big boys ware underware.sorry to make this so long but i can just relate like you woldnt believe.lol.hope this works.

in all honesty, it sounds like he's not ready. maybe back off for awhile and try again in a couple of months. good luck!

I am looking forward to reading the other responses - maybe there will be something that will help me too. Our son was 3 in March and we have tried all the same things but he just isn't ready. I'm hoping someday the potty-training is just going to "click" but it won't be soon enough for me!
kar

http://www.eztrain.biz/drphil.html

My son was the same as yours, nothing seemed to entice him to use the potty. Until some mom's recommended Dr. Phil's method of potty training in one day. To my disbelief, it worked (although I would say it took about a week overall).
http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/264

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 / 3