I Can't Find a Bottle That Works for My 7 Month Old. Please Help!

I started bottle feeding my son formula about 3 weeks ago. He was only breastfed before with occasional pumped bottles. I used Madella bottles. I didn't buy the bigger ones to formula feed since the nipples were always collapsing. My problem now is that the formula spills out the sides of his mouth when he is sucking. I think he is sucking too hard. I have tried Avent, Tommie Tippy and Breastflow bottles. I have tried the slow flow and fast flow nipples for all 3. I have even tried to sit him up more while feeding him. It helps a bit but I shouldn't have to work this hard to feed my son without spilling. He does not have problems with gas, bubbles or spitting up so I don't want to try Dr. Browns. Has anyone else had this problem?? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks so much for all of your advice! This is such a great website!! I am going to try the slow flow nipples for the three bottles that I already have and see how that works. Looks like moms are saying that breastfed babies tend to do better with the slower flow nipples. I was trying the fast and medium but none of the slow. Hopefully that will work and if not I will try some of the other suggestions. Thanks again!!!

I used the Dr.Browns and really liked them...they have nipples that are medium flow nipples. I have also just cut slow flow nipples a little so they are not as fast as the fast flow nipples. I also know the drop in bags can be a hassle but plain old platex bottles work well for babies who have been breast fed.

My experience with 14 years in home childcare, is the majority of breastfed babies prefer the plain old Playtex Nursers with the bags in them (now drop ins..so much easier!), not all..but that seems to be the Go To one we end up with most of the time. But the really picky ones want the tan colored latex nipples, not the clear silicone ones. The silicone ones are stiffer.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

My next suggestion would be to try a orthodontic style nipple. Similar to the nuk pacifier. I work with babies and have found that the ones who have trouble with leaking while sucking do well with this style. The next one I would try would be the playtex wide mouth bottle, some come with disposable liners and they make a regular one as well…I know this can be a troublesome time but he will figure things out…keep up the good work!

The Playtex Vent-Aire bottles worked really well for both of my children as we made the switch from breast to bottle. It really is trail and error. The little one may need some time as well to adjust to the change in his routine. Eventually you will find one that works.

My son was picky about bottles. He liked Dr. Browns because the nipples are smaller. He wanted nothing to do with the big honkin nipples on advents bottles.

I used playtex with all 3 of my kids who were breastfed for 12 months. My daughter did not like the vent air like my 2 boys she liked the nurser. Get the natural shape ones(ya know tha large ones that are the size of a small breast)
Just keep trying, buy 1 try it, if it works buy more if not buy anothe 1 and try that. Kids can be picky and sometimes it is not them being picky it is their body structure. You will find something Mommy keep trying.

I used Dr. Browns when I pumped and bottle fed. My daughter had no problems - Avent did not work for her either. Note: the Dr. Browns are a pain in tthe posterior to clean....

My son was that hard to feed at that age for a few months.
I started out w/slow flow nipples then
moved to medium flow then finally fast flow nipples when he could handle it.
All this happened over a span of up to 6 or 8 months then he stuck w/the fast flow until he ate baby food.
Don't worry and just take it easy on yourself.
Every baby is different and this will probably be your "plight" w/your child......feeding him. It was my struggle. He's 2 now and not the best eater in the world. But don't worry. Unfortunately it will take longer to feed them than other infants. It's okay though. Hang in there!

1 / 3