I Can't Afford Formula for My Baby

My daughter has an allergy to milk based formulas, so we are having to put her on Nutramigen. It is extremely expensive, but is the only thing that seems to be working for her. Is there anywhere I can go where they sell this at a lower price (a 16 oz can is $25). I get Enfamil coupons in the mail maybe once a month, but I only get a couple, and we go through more than one can in one week.

Any tricks to the trade? (I don't qualify for WIC)

My daughter was on Nutramigen also, so I know how expensive it is. I used to buy it on Ebay and got some really good deals. Hope you find some bargains!

My daughter had issues with formulas and we found that the brand Good Start worked for her. It is gentle on their stomachs.
Good luck..T.

Another easy option is to the use the Target brand formula, it's half the price and the ingredients and nutritionals are the same. That's what I did with my son and then I didn't have to worry about adjusting to a new formula from Enfamil.

Hi W.~
I would write a note (or email) the company that makes the formula for your child. Let them know that it's the only formula your child can use and that the price is more than you can afford. They will more than likely send you coupons (for free cans of formula) or will offer to sell it to you at a lower cost and deliver to your door. If your pediatrician will write out a prescription for this formula; you might be able to deduct it on your taxes (consult with your CPA, first - I'm not a CPA). It would make sense to the company to get a lot of positive reviews from a "happy" customer. Good luck to you!
Lucy B.

Hi there, I would write to the company that sells that, it's probably on the can. Tell them of your situation and ask for coupons or samples, you might be surprised. Also, ask at the doctors office. You'll never know if you don't ask. Good Luck

My daughter had to be on Nutramgen for 6-8 months (she's 9-can't remember everything). She had severe medical issues and meds that made regular formulas )inc soy) intolerable. We got samples from the doctors office, I called the company and explained our situation and they sent me coupons equalling a case with a form to fill out to receive more coupons, and the sales rep for the drs office donated a case to us after our dr talked to him.
My advice is try to ask all the medical offices, clinics, etc for samples; call the company;, etc.

I too had to put my baby on Nutramigen and I concur with how expensive it is in the store. I have found that you can buy it for a really fair price (if not cheap in some instances) on Ebay.
That is where I buy all my sons formula right now.

Hi W.. My son and now my 3 month old daughter have had to be on nutramigen too and you are right! It is incredibly expensive! One thing I discovered lately is you can get it on ebay for arounf HALF the cost (which makes it about the same as reg formula). There are pages and pages worth of people selling it. Just make sure it shows the cans are sealed and have a good expiration date. Oh and make sure they are 16 oz cans cause sometimes they are selling the 8 oz cans which are the FREE sample cans the dr gives out. I just spent 135 on 9 cans which would normally be over 225! Also ask your pediatrition if they can give you samples anytime you go. The reps give it to them free so they are usually willing to just give you whatever you want. I have probably gotten 8 or so cans from ours. And talk to the pediatrition but your baby may soon be able to tolerate reg formula. At 3 or 4 months I slowly switched my son back and he was fine. I have been tol cows milk is like razor blades in a babys belly til 3 or 4 months old. Sorry this was so long but I know how ya feel!! Good luck! Go on EBAY asap! S.

W.,

As some of the other respondents have said, contact the manufacturer and explain your situation. Most manufacturers will provide products to consumers in need. Drug companies do that a lot--for example, Bristol Myers Squibb used to have an option on their phone number for people who needed free drugs.

We were on it for a while and our doctor gave us a case of two to try. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

a friend of mine gave her baby red gelatin-the only thing he could drink-he was also allergic to cow milk,try soy milk also.

1 / 3