I Cannot Quench My Thirst!

Okay ladies. Dry mouth is nothing really new for me for many years, but tolerable. In the last week I cannot quench my thirst. My mouth just feels icky! I know I sleep with my mouth wide open because I sometimes away and it is dry down into my throat.

Before anyone tells me to get tested for diabetes. That's not it. I thought of that too, but my husband i diabetic and he tested me this morning. And it is not exercise related. I am not presently on any meds that should cause this that I can think of. I do take alfalfa tabs, and that may be the culprit so I am backing off, but I have taken them for years.

If this doesn't go away in another week I will call the doc, but was just wondering if you ladies had any ideas?

You guys are great! To answer some of your questions. I am drinking ALOT of water and I am hypo-thyroid. That's the only med I take. I was checked in September and it was fine.

I really don't have any good advice other than telling you about a commercial I just saw. It's for something called Biotene. A line of dental products you can find at the store. It's specifically for "dry mouth". It talks about how dry mouth can be a side effect of many medications. Anyway, maybe in the meantime, you could go get some of that Biotene and see if it brings you any relief.

there is a spray, or a toothpaste for that problem, biotene. My friend had dry mouth because of meds and it worked on her.

You said your husband tested you for diabetes? Unless he's a doctor, you need to get a professional test. Did he use his own blood sugar monitor to test you? Testing with someone else's personal blood sugar monitor is not a full diabetes test. Recently I've seen a couple of newspaper items warning that people are increasingly "home-testing" for diabetes using friends' and relatives' blood sugar monitors -- and they're missing real problems. So please, get to a doctor. Maybe it's not diabetes but do rule it out first and don't self-test; plus a doctor could find other issues that are causing the thirst. I"m saying this as someone who takes diabetes really seriously since two close adult relatives have Type 1 and it's something to handle with a doctor's help. Good luck and please take care.

Do you chew gum (sugarless)? I would suggest Biotene and the gum might activate your salivary glands.

Drink pure coconut water!

smart water has electrolytes in it and you may be deficient there which may be a problem... I have to second the idea of getting properly tested for Diabetes, just to be 100 % sure as well as getting your thyroid checked. increases your hydrating foods like fruits and veggies, and decrease things that dehydrate like caffeine and alcohol and salt/sodium.

Since Diabetes have been ruled out (though I would get retested as you might be borderline and a doc can test for that.) I am going to ask when you last got your thyroid tested.

Drink more water. Perhaps you are dehydrated. You need to drink at least 1 ounce of water for every pound of weight. This would be a great place to start. So get your water bottles ready and get to drinking. Room temp water actually processes better through the body than cold water but getting more water into your system should help.

1 / 3