I Am Looking for Free Tutoring for My 14 Year Old

Dear MOMS,
My son is failing pre algebra. I have looked into sylvan and couldnt belive the price.
They want to help children but the less fortunate get left behind it seems.
If anyone knows of any I would love some information. The Middle school he is in is limited there is none or very little help.

Thank you,

A few suggestions: You might try offering to barter house cleaning for tutoring. I tutor some wonderful college students who do the chores I don't have time to do (or want to ). Also, there are some wonderful internet tutorials online for free! Just google pre algebra tutorials. There is also a software program, Algebrator, on sale for $39.00if you order today. Hopw this helps!

My 12yr old son announced to me just last night that he has been recommended to receive tutoring from another student in language arts (7th grade). He was confused as to why they felt he needed it due to the fact that his grades are pretty good. I explained to him that he is still low on his FCAT scores and that was probably why. I expressed I felt it was an awesome idea, as sometimes a peer can spread more light on a subject than an adult. He said the boy tutoring was really cool. Perhaps you could ask the teacher if there is anyone they could recommend that would be willing to help out. I think its a wonderful program. You always have that one student who finishes everything early and needs a challenge. Best of Luck! di

Ask your teacher to ask other teachers in the school for tutoring. They are always looking for a 'side job'. Also ask other parents, you'll be surprised that they'll also know of a good high school student, or neighborhood parent who's retired....it's all from word of mouth. Good luck! E.

B.,
Many High school students are required to perform a certain amt. of communtiy service hours for their programs. IB programs require @ 250, and Bright Futures require 70. Go to the High School. All you will have to do is sign their communtiy service forms (and maybe have soda in the house!)

Your teacher is a free tutor. That is their job (I know I am one, a teacher that is!) If your child is behind, it is the responsibility of the teacher to help. That is what we do. We TEACH children. Get involved and get your teacher's help.

hi there :) I took my daycare kids to a storyhour at the library on davie & riverland and noticed a flier about free afterschool tutoring. I'd assume if they offer it, all of the Broward libraries do. Good luck!

Hi, B.!

Try calling the local H.S. and/or college in your area for kidz who want to do tutoring, I used the girl down the road from me, paid her $10 per hour for two to three days a week depending on my need, it was great and helped!

A.

When I was fourteen, my mom found a math teacher and hired her to come to our home once a week for a lesson. Perhaps you could work a trade (e.g. once a month house cleaning in exchange for weekly lessons).

L. D.
mom of three

hi there--my sister is a middle school teacher and tutors as well--she lives in Clearwater,FL--where are you? Maybe you can do a trade instead of payment since you clean homes-work out some kind of hourly trade-off. Her email is ____@____.com and her name is Dede if you are interested. Good Luck!

1 / 3