I Am at My Wits end...any Suggestions, Experience?

I guess I could say this is a repeat question. So please be patient with me. I am a HUGE mama bear and when my children are in pain - I go nuts trying to make it right or better. I feel like I am fighting a ghost, if that makes sense. I asked mama's and papa's last year if they had any experience with this. http://www.mamapedia.com/questions/5303232742350258177

My son, now 10, has recurring eye problems. And ONLY in ONE EYE - his right eye. It is NEVER at the same time, it is NEVER after doing the same thing, etc. He has pain - deep, sharp pain as he calls it. Ibuprofen doesn't work. His eye ball does NOT get blood shot (like you would with a migraine or a head ache).

He has seen and been thoroughly looked at/examined by:
ENT
Pediatric Optometrist
Pediatric Ophthalmologist
Villmer Eye Clinic at Johns Hopkins

He has had:
his eyes dilated
an MRI with contrast
a CSCAN

Not one doctor can find anything wrong with his brain, his eye ball or anything to do with his head. So where do we go from here? What helps relieve the pain? An ice pack. When we went to Johns Hopkins - the doctor spent about 1.5 hours with us. She checked him - had someone else come in and look at him. His eye is NOT mis-shaped. No blood clots. Nothing that they can see.

What would you do next? Where would you go next? The pain is so bad sometimes he cries. And he is NOT a crier so we know he's not faking it. We went almost 4 months without an "episode". He can be fine for days or have another one the next day.

Thank you!

thanks!! I wish it happened during electronics - TV, XBOX, Computer, DS, etc. He could be reading, walking, talking, eating - it's NEVER consistent.

he was tested for allergies - none. Sorry - I should have stated that.

I called the National Children's Center in DC. We have an appointment with Dr. Robert Avery - Pediatric Neuro-Ophthalmologist at Children's National - that is now scheduled for August 14th.

I called Dr. Parelhoff - he's not open for six months. They are seeing what they can do to get him in sooner. They gave me a reference for 3 others in the area.

He was just at the dentist in April - they did a panoramic of his teeth. So far - all look good!! I'll keep an eye on that one!!

@Kozmama - he says the pain is "in his eye" - he says it feels like someone is squeezing his eye. No complaints about teeth, nose or any other place on his head or body. When we went to JohnsHopkins - his eye starting hurting - the doctor re-checked him - another doctor came and checked him as well. Re-dilated his eye, brought another scope up and looked. That's when they recommended the MRI and the CAT-SCAN. Where they ruled out Macular degeneration and cataracts.

Hmmm, does he have allergies? When my allergies are wicked, my sinuses make me feel like my eyeballs are gonna pop out! Maybe try some Sudafed?

Hope he feels better soon (and you, too!).

:(

I would take him to a dentist. I've read that sometimes, with some people, the formation of wisdom teeth can press on a nerve that affects the eyes. He could have a problem with a tooth that is forming in his jaw that is affecting the eye.

Shoot I just wrote a long answer that didn't post. Grrr...

Short version - conventional medicine hasn't found a smoking gun and you've ruled out anything that is physically obvious. My next stop would be a chiropractor. It really does sound migraine-like to me (I have had migraines for 20 years and my eyes never get red or bloodshot) and chiropractic can be great with alleviating strain on some of the pathways that trigger migraine.

:(

Neurologist would be my next step.

Have you ever looked at Sjrogen's syndrome (not sure I spelled that right)? It's autoimmune in nature, if I remember correctly.

I might keep a food and activity diary, too, to see if I can spot any patterns or possible triggers.

I am located in VA as well. If I were you; I would set-up an appointment with Doctor Edward Parelhoff (Ophthalmologist). He is the BEST eye doctor on this coast. I have been going to him since I was a baby. He has done multiple eye surgeries on me and had his partner perform the LASIK on my eyes. He is the best of the best. I'm sure he can find out what is going on. He is a very gentle, loving and extremely patient man and doctor. You will not be disappointed. People fly to VA just to go take their children to him.

The offices are located in Springfield and Woodbridge. Might be a bit of distance for you, but it is well worth it. I have also gone to see him when I had something in my eye. He was gentle and got the object out of my eye. Like I said; he has performed multiple eye surgeries on me and I have always felt safe. He treated me like his own daughter and would even "call" to check-up on me after my surgeries. He is reassuring and easy to talk to. He also dId my usual vision check-ups after my surgeries. :)

Here is his page on his web site. http://www.eyeconsult.net/meet-our-physicians/edward-s-pa...

Give them a call. :) They are always happy to help!

Could it still be a form of migraine though? What about a neurologist?

Are you positive it's not a migraine?
I get them a lot. My eyes don't always get blood shot and about half the time my migraines are behind my left eye. They are excruciating and many have brought me to tears (but I try not to cry b/c it makes it worse!). Ice helps. Darkness does too. No amount of ibuprofen touches my migraines. I have a prescription that *sometimes* helps, but most of the time I am just miserable for at least 24 hours.
Has he seen a neurologist?

Have you considered a chiropractor to check for pinched nerves (subluxations) in his neck?

It may sound strange if you don't know how chiropractic works but it would be worth a try to help heal his pain.

Hmm. No clue what it is, but...

I have something similar... You can't see anything wrong, but when when my left eye is having issues it feels like someone starts about 1/2 way through, and is driving an ice-cold (Not really the temperature, but that pain you feel from like an ice cream headache or when you touch something really cold for too long) spike deeper and deeper into my eye. It is seriously painful! BUT... there is nothing 'wrong' with my eye.

I have noticed that it tends to happen more during the times when I am more prone to allergies... but it does happen randomly throughout the year when I don't have any too...

I will say that as I have gotten older, it has gotten better. It probably peaked when I was around 12-13, when I would get the pain 2-3x in a month... then it started getting better. Now, I only get one or two a year.

The only thing that ever helped me was to gently push on my eye and massage that temple. The pressure seemed to help. Sometimes, I would use a cold, wet washcloth. (Ice pack was too cold for my eye..) This didn't really make it better at all... but it took the edge off a bit so the pain was bearable.

I still have no clue what actually causes it...

1 / 3