I Accidently Scratched My Baby's Face! I Feel Awful!

I cut my nails this morning...they were good and jagged...and my baby (6 weeks and 4 days old) became hungry right after. When I went to burp her over my lap, she put her head up, and then that soft area under her chin fell back onto my thumb. It scratched her (but it isn't bleeding), and made her cry. I felt terrible. Is there anything on should put on it? I feel like a horrible mommy...

Thank you everyone for your stories! It made me feel so much better. I definitely cuddled her immediately after washing it with warm water, and I cried for a while. The worst part is, I had been listening to Carole King's "Child of Mine" when it happened. It probably made the guilt worse.

Anyway, thank you for making me feel relieved! And yes, I am a new mommy :). This is my first! Even though I've heard horror stories of my aunt's oldest daughter falling down the stairs while she nursed her other baby girl, my brother stepping on to the end of the treadmill and scraping his chin...I still panic about all of this. I never knew how scary motherhood could be! I'm just trying to take it day by day, and moment by moment.

Thank you everyone, once again!

-B.

If you are breastfeeding, put some breastmilk on it. It will clear right up. Helps with baby acne too!

If it makes you feel any better, I accidentally cut my baby's finger with the nail clippers, FIVE different times! I was terrified that his little fingers would be mishappen for life, or he would be finger printed for something someday and someone would comment on it and he would say, "My mom mauled me with the finger nail clippers"

She'll be ok.

Oh gosh, don't feel bad! She's fine!
And this will be FAR from the last time you accidentally hurt her!
My husband was just playing with our 2.5yo and accidentally dropped him on his head! Things happen. Kids bounce! They're so much more resilient than we are!

And then, let's not forget to account for the times when you actually drag them by 1 arm kicking and screaming out of a room.... Sounds like you're a new mom, so you're not there yet! :)

She'll be fine. Just give her some love! That's all she wants in this world!

Everyone's been there - and everyone feels awful. The good news is that she won't remember this, I promise! I was so distracted by my daughter's first smile that I caught some skin between the snaps of her outfit! Um yeah, she stopped smiling immediately, and it was black and blue for days! I still feel bad about it - but she doesn't. Cuddle her a little more than normal, more to heal your own hurt than hers, but don't worry about it.

P.S. Don't put anything on it. If you're worried, wash it with her baby soap. Products like neosporin and antibiotic cream are not approved for children so young. Read the labels of everything first.

Please do not take this the wrong way, it's a scratch. Just wait until you do something seriously wrong, like forgot to lock a gate and she goes flying down stairs. That has happened to my husband twice and me once. Talk about guilt. Amazingly, no one got hurt (happened to both kids as well!) My daughter also got pushed down the stairs by another little girl. The mother of the girl, a good friend of mine, felt guilty for weeks after that happened.

Soon you will realize that they are mostly indestructible.

My son scratched his face and head to self-sooth. I never did anything to the scratches, they healed quickly enough on their own.

leave it be if it helps all of us moms do that and we dont mean to. maybe not scratch butsomething else. I had something in my hand the other day and my 2 yr old was behind me and when I turned I popped him in the head. it just happens and is a part of parenting. so smile your not the only one who does it.

She'll be ok.

no she will be fine, stuff like this will happen all her life , so RELAX and congrats on your new baby

no it will be fine. things happen. when my daugher was about the same age i went to cut her finger nails and i cut the very tip of one of her fingers and she bled i felt soo bad i did not want to cut them for the longest time and made my mom do it

It will be ok. It is not bleeding and doesn't need anything, it will heal on it's own.

Do not beat yourself up about it...we all do things like this on accident at some point...

Just a couple weeks ago my 5 year old had a splinter...I told him I could get it out for him, after awhile he agreed to let me try but was very scared...I was trying to use a needle and just when I broke threw the skin he jerked and I sliced a good 1/2 inch slice across his fingertip...talk about feeling like a terrible Mommy! I should have just let it fall out on it's own or waited for Daddy to do it :(

These things happen...and will happen again and again...it's OK...stop beating yourself up about it...it's not like you did it on purpose!

Congrats on the new baby!

1 / 3