Hypothyroidism Alternative Remedy

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when i was pregnant with my second. After i stopped nursing, i decided to stop taking the prescription and try something from the natural foods market. I had my yearly checkup and my thyroid levels were still low. What can I take to keep from getting a prescription?

I've never gotten so much encouraging advice! I feel really confident and good in my decision to go ahead and take the synthroid. I didn't realize how important it really is. I know there are lots of natural things out there, but it's so much easier and more reliable to take the medication with something so serious as my thyroid. I have lots of family members that have gone without(I am just now finding this out) and my grandmother is at the early stages of dimentia(sp??) and my aunt is really out of whack! And i am finding out that it's because they've trusted my other aunt who is a natural doctor to take care of them. The long term effects are not good. So, thank you for helping me see what I need to do to take care of my body for the sake of my health and for my family's sanity! I love this website and every woman on here who has selflessly taken the time to help me in my time of need. God definitely used YOU to speak to my heart. Thanks again!!!!!

I've been taking a prescription tablet every day for several years for hypothyroidism. It has had no side effects and is not expensive. I say, just go ahead and take the medication.

Go to A health food store.
It's called cold hands I believe. It's a thyroid supplement. It helps me.

I got the "slam" to my reference to western medicine. I stand by my statement. Chronic and serious conditions are nothing with which to experiment. This is an excerpt from the Mayo Clinic's website at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353/D...

Alternative medicine
Although most doctors recommend synthetic thyroxine, natural extracts containing thyroid hormone derived from the thyroid glands of pigs are available. These products contain both thyroxine and triiodothyronine. Synthetic thyroid medications contain thyroxine only, and the triiodothyronine your body needs is derived from the thyroxine.

Extracts are available by prescription only and shouldn't be confused with the glandular concentrates sold in natural foods stores. These products aren't regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, and their potency isn't guaranteed.

I stand by my statement and my support of WESTERN MEDICINE.

Please take the prescription. Western medicine diagnosed your condition, and its practicioners (doctors) are the ones most able to prescribe treatment. Coming to groups for practical advice is good. There is a wealth of knowledge here, but seeking medical advice to do things differently than the doctor says, especially when it comes to conditions that have long term and potentially life altering effects is not wise. I know this first hand. I have taken for 8 years, and will continue taking probably for the rest of my life, hypertension medicine. The alternative - not taking it, could be devastating for me and especially for my family. If you must seek herbal or natural remedies, discuss that with your doctor as well. Everything that we take has the potential to interfere with or negate the good in other medicines that we use.

C.,
I love natural remedies, but this is one that needs synthetic hormones to cure (you can try a natural hormone, such as the pig hormone Armour, but it is a prescription as well). Ancient methods have worked for many issues, but there has never been an effective solution for hyperthyroidism other than modern medicine. I have done much research, and all the natural methods do not take care of the root issue, which is not enough hormone. Please take the prescription, as this can have a very adverse and serious effect on your health. Hypothyroid used to be a main reason for insanity and infertility, until modern medicine found a solution. I urge you to seek treatment from an endocrinologist.

Good luck and God Bless

Dearest C.,

I have researched this extensively and can tell you, that no natural remedies that you buy from a natural foods market is going to effectively elevate your thyroid levels. I tried everything kind of natural alternative treatment you can find. These remedies seem to be only beneficial with hyperthyoidism. With hypothyroidism, it is extremely important to take your medicine every day. Since your levels are just "low" - treat the illness now instead of waiting until you have a severe problem. I speak from personal experience here sweetie. I am now on a high dose of levothyroxine as well as an additional thyroid hormone replacement called Cytomel (very expensive little booger!). I know it doesn't sound all that appealing or the thought of being on a pill indefinitely, but your health can spiral out of control without your thyroid functioning correctly.

Also do yourself a favor and read "Thyroid for DUMMIES" (available at your local library and there are used copies available online for next to nothing). It is very well written and breaks down everything about both Hypo and Hyper thyroidism and everywhere in between.

Feel free to contact me if you want to.

Maybe someone else will have an alternative for you but I haven't heard of one. I do just want to say that if you are unable to find a successful alternative, please make sure you go back on the replacement. Speaking from LOTS of personal experience, hypothyroid can have many many bad effects on your life, your mental state, your energy level, your fertility, there is almost nothing in your life that won't be affected if you let it go too long.

I say take the meds. They are inexpensive, even if you don't have insurance. I learned that at Walgreens and HEB if you purchase their prescription drug plan you can get a 90 day supply for around $10! I have not heard of any natural remedies that are as effective as the meds. With a low functioning thyroid you might possibly be dealing with unpleasant symptoms...such as constipation, feeling cold all the time, tired all the time, weight gain or trouble losing weight, etc. With 2 kiddos, you need all the energy you can get! Also, should you decide to have another kiddo, my doctor told me that having a low thyroid that is not properly treated can cause problems with the pregnancy and lead to developmental problems in the baby. It's up to you, but I say the risks just aren't worth it. Take the meds.

Take the medication. Your thyroid is nothing to mess around with. My mom had to have hers removed due to little/no production and tumors. She waited about 2 years before she went in. Her weight, moods, and energy levels were affected and these were just the tip of the iceberg. The medication is taking the place of your low functioning thyroid. Your body can't produce enough of that hormone; take the meds and feel better.

When you do take it watch to make sure that your levels are appropriate. Some of the generics can be tricky with the correct dosage that works with your body.

I noticed the article quote didn't say thyroid. While I do believe that we should avoid chemicals/additives/impurties/ toxins as much as possible, I nearly died and left my two small children motherless b/c of an undiagnosised thyroid problem and then "under"diagnoised with lack of enough meds. Now I take synthroid everyday PLUS I'm doing things such as: growing organic fruits and veggies for my family in our garden, am starting a chicken flock which I will feed only from the organic garden for eggs, making most of our foods instead of buying any processed foods, and am making sure my children and I are outside everyday getting lots of fresh air and exercise [my hubby works long hours so i can stay at home so he's not able to join us most times:( I guess what I'm saying is I think you can do both; take the meds and live healthy. Good luck

1 / 3