Hyper Pug and Suggetions How to Calm Her Down?

Hi, I have a 8 month old pug she is soo cute, but she is very hyper. She is like the energizer bunny she just goes and goes. I have a 5 year, 2 year old and one on the way I need her to be calmer by the time the new baby comes. Which I'm due in may. I have done the suggestions from the vet and books. Taking her for walks and she has a playmate I also have a 2 yearold husky, lab mix. Which they play well. But she is still soo hyper. I don't mind having a hyper dog, were an outgoing family but she doesn't stop and I hate keeping her outside all the time. Please any suggestions. She isn't fixed yet, someone said that would calm her down but my vet said that its just her breed.. He said by the time she is 2 she will be calmer..

Thank you all for the suggestions. We are sending her to a trainer that our vet loves and we have made an activity schedule for her. She loves the Raw hide. It helps in the evening when were trying to get everyone ready for bed. And she is great with my kids, still jumps on them but it isn't as often as it use to be. My son has autism and loves her to death so we couldn't see ourselves without her. Thanks again for the advise...

Hey K.,
I too have a pug (whom I adore)... and if I recall, he was extremely hyper when he was a puppy. He is now seven and is nothing but a wonderful lap dog! I had a dog trainer who came to my home and taught me how to train him which helped the situation. If you'd like her name and contact info (she's in Nashville, TN), just email me personally... D. at deniserosser dot com.

So have you found any good help yet? I also have a pug puppy about the exact same age and he is hyper as well, but not constantly. Usually only when someone comes in the house. He does jump up on our legs a lot but when he starts that I just tell him to go get a toy (we have names for all of them) and he usually does it. The one habit I can not seem to break him from is biting pant legs or chewing on rugs!! I have had him fixed but I do not see a change is his personallity at all and it has been a couple months. I have to say though mine sleeps with me and is the SWEETEST thing!! I also have a 8 yr old lab and they play good together most of the time. I usually try to take him outside every day and play ball which helps run out a lot of his energy, we usually play for at least 15 min or until he looses interest. Good Luck!!

Get to know Cesar Millan. Buy his book, "Cesar's Way" and watch the dog whisperer. His website is www.cesarmillaninc.com

He mentions that dogs have different energy levels - most people think it has to do with breed - but just like people, they can have very high eneryg, high energy, medium energy, and low energy. YOu have to find the dog that best matches your energy level... check out Cesar, he can make sense of it all for you.

This is probably not what you want to hear...but it is her breed. They are great dogs, but they get so excited. I worked as a Vet Tech for 3yrs and all pugs are the same. Try searching online for suggestions. Your doing everything already that we would suggest to our clients with playmates and spending time with her outside of the home. Good Luck!

have you considered a dog walker to help work down some of that energy of hers?

Hey K.,

Hey K.,

I have a 4 year old Pug and I hate to say it, but she is still hyper. Actually, my husband says she is spastic to be exact. Honestly, it is just the breed. Fixing her didn't do anything to calm her down. She is calmer than she was at 8 mos, meaning she does sleep more and so forth, but when she gets excited, she gets EXCITED! She is fantastic with our little girl, who is only 4 months old. I wish had some better advice for you, but with this breed, there is really not much you can do. I have been told that the males are calmer. Good luck!

Pugs are very playful. Have you talked with the pet suppliers? There are natural things that can calm a dog. Just like using the scent of lavender for babies to relax them. It works for dogs, too. They are after all furry little children. Most human remedies can be used for animals. Be careful not to give anything without checking with stores like Pet Smart or Pet Supplies Plus, etc. There are even homeopathy vetinerians. You do need to train the dog well. I have a very hyper Chihuahua/terrier/toy poodle mix-talk about hyper breeds! He does want to please me so he settles down quickly. He is extremey mellow with my 6Mo. old grandson. Just his rearend goes, but he can't help it. T. D.

we had the same problem w/ our chocolate lab, we took her to see Dog. He's an obidence trainer that does wonders w/ animals. Check out his website www.usak-9.com He helped our family, maybe he can help yours too....

1 / 3