Hyper Active 2 Year Old

I have a very active 2 year old daughter. Any suggestions on fun learning activities in which burns energy and helps her learn as well. Also disciplining someone her age and things that may work for a hyper active child.

Hello there! Rebounding (mini trampoline)! Google this to see all the benefits! I bought one for my very active 3 year old and it is wonderful!

Hello ~

Two activities taht work really well for super-active kids are 1) swinging and 2) water play.

Swinging helps sort of re-set the brain and calm kids down. Don't be afraid to push them fairly high (as longa s they are safe) and really let them swing!

Any kind of water play (pool, bath, sprinkler) is super helpful too.

There is some brain research behind this, but it's long and involved. Good enough to know it works!

My older son was hyperactive also, and I'm not lying when I say he was a joy to have around. Yes he wore me out, but his energy and optimism were contagious! Your daughter isn't too young to start learning sports, and that'll be the greatest outlet for all that excess energy. Get a little soccer ball and just kick it back and forth...or a little basketball and pass it and dribble it. Also, watch what sorts of foods she gets hold of...there's some food dyes and things that make hyper kids worse. We used to give him a little caffeine...it works just like giving hyper kids stimulants to calm them, but it doesn't give them the side effects medications do.

you could have races/obstacle courses.

Raising a sensory smart child ( lindsey Biel M.A., OTR/L and Nancy Peske)is an awsome book that deals w/ stimulating (both motor and sensory) needs it also adresses attention to kids who do not like a lot of stimulation.
Heavy work, like dragging a laundry basket full of clothes or helping organize a pantry of canned goods, swinging on a swing set all are great for propreceptive (large muscle groups) movement and stimulates endorphins & seratonin to the brain which in turn makes the child (or adult) feel better, happier, calmer.

Hope that helps,
Take good care,
H.

When my youngest son was two, I enrolled him in a gymnastics class at Little Gym of Anchorage (now Aurora Kids), down on Huffman and the Old Seward. It was a great place for him to run and play, and also provided a context for him to learn about following instructions and the give-and-take of sharing with other kids. Another benefit was that he learned how to land safely when he jumped off of things -- like his dresser at home!

Hi T.
What worked for my kids was to give them Cafene like in Coffee or tea. It works like ridlin in it's effect. It calms down hyper activity. Cut out white prosessed sugars and bad carbs. for snacks, fruit or vegies or jerckie, NO pop or prosessed sweat drinks. Look for food alergies and things around the house like soaps and cleaning things, look for mold and milldew or heavy metal like led, merqurey or other toxins. Start a behavyour LOG to see it there is a pattern and a caus and effect.

I hope this helps

I have a very active three year old, she was even more so at 2! She loves playing dress up, which teaches her about colors, fabrics, matching, and burns some energy "modeling" for us. There's a really fun game called elefun during which they have to run and catch "butterflies", which teaches her counting, colors, and helps with hand-eye coordination. She also has a few favorite cds that we have "dance party" to! Exercise for both of us! There's a dvd called mom/toddler workout at target I've been thinking about getting too.

I have her help me load and unload the dishwasher and laundry, which keeps her occupied, somewhat active,with me, and also teaches counting, colors, whose clothes are whose, and responsibility. We also recently started a chore chart, where she gets stickers toward a reward. We've included simple pictures of her chores, which are all age appropriate:helping with the baby, brush teeth, go potty, bath, pick up toys, help with laundry, dishes. She gets really excited, last night after brushing her teeth she told daddy, "I get a sticker!"

My 2.5 year old boy is very active too! He loves to play outside. When he stays with my mother-in-law, she has him help her with all sorts of "chores" that he thinks are his big jobs! They include walking to the mailbox (or jumping/hopping on really active days!), gathering eggs from the chickens, feeding the pets, weeding, raking, painting (he has no paint on his brush while she has paint), unloading the dishwasher, doing laundry, vaccumming, cooking, etc. He loves these activities as they help him feel useful and I love them because I can teach him about all the things that a busy mom does! You can find all sorts of ways to get them to burn energy while doing these chores. Laundry is great, send her with one pair of socks to her room to put away and have her hop all the way there! Then she can come back for another pair!

Also, there may be a gym or play park near your home where you both can go and practice jumping like a frog, running like a jaguar, hopping like a bunny, trotting like a horse, climbing like a monkey, marching like a soldier, crawling like a baby, walking like a crab or a bear. Practicing the animal sounds while doing the moves is a lot of fun for little ones too!

Dancing is also great. You can do this at home, or by joining a kindermusik type class.

As the daughter of a kindergarten teacher, the more creative ways you can help your child learn while getting some of that energy out and teaching constructive ways to use that seemingly endless energy before she reaches school age, the better!!!

Good luck! I hope these ideas help!!

1 / 3