Husband Giant Baby When Sick

My husband has a regular cold and is acting like he is going to die. . . he came home last night and literally fell asleep on the couch while I took care of the two kids. I was fine with doing the caretaking, but, he is so mopey I know he wants all kinds of attention (extra loud coughs, groaning, moaning, etc.). It is hard for me to feel sympathetic when I still have to carry on with my normal duties when I have a cold. . . . He went to work this morning wiht many more groans and when I suggested he stay home he said "I'm not thtat sick." What to do?

He took NyQuil this morning BEFORE heading off to work (???). . . at this point, my plan is to leave him alone for awhile, but I have NO interest in babying him. I just wanted to make sure I was not totally heartless in doing that! A few more load groans and I was going to tell him to "suck it up!" but I didn't want to start a fight. I know he wants me to do some mothering for him but I just cannot bring myself.

MEN! They are the biggest babies when sick!

Best thing IMO is to let it go. Let him have his "moment" of attention. Then when you get sick, start acting the same way and when he inevitably tell you that you're being ridiculous, call him out on it. I did this last fall when my husband had strep, then my son, then me. I did everything for the kids and him for 5 days while he lounged around and groaned, and even stated, (I swear this is a direct quote) "I don't think I'm gonna make it through this. I might die." Can you believe this? ha!

So, I did the same when the strep hit me, and he was so quick to tell me to get over it. I told him in my strongest strep throat voice as possible that paybacks were hell. :) Do I think he'll stop acting this way? No, but at least he knows now what a big crybaby he is. :) Good luck!

I've got to say, I agree with Jessica V. Is my husband a huge baby when he's sick? You betcha! Do I still essentially take care of him? Yup. Here's why: I want to make the people I love feel good, it's just who I am. Now, if he is just a little tired from regular every-day stress, well, we still have to make dinner & do homework with the kids, and get them to dance/baseball/chorus/cheerleading/band (etc. etc. etc.) and there's no reason why he can't still pitch in at least a little bit. Now when he's sick, I'll cut him some slack. This might be easier for me since for so many years he worked rotating shifts & was almost never home to help with stuff, but now he works straight days M-F which is a huge help to me generally speaking. In any case, I don't mind telling him to go lay down upstairs & bringing him a glass of water & some ibuprophen, but the fact that he's done the same for me in the past makes an enormous difference!!

I'm LOLing at all the responses! I love the Man Cold skit, I always share that with my friends when their man is sick.

My hubby is a martial artist and can take his hits on the mat, but when he gets a cold he actually thinks he's dying. I go ahead and baby him like his mama did. It's a great thing to remind him of when I"m sick and he looks at the big pile of dishes at the sink!

I've got one of those upstairs in bed right now. Check out The Man Cold on YouTube--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmbMSrsZVQ

you will pee your pants! LOL Cheers!

It's the man flu. Buy him a can of soup, and get out of the house.

I know exactly what you're talking about. My mom and I were just talking about this the other day. This may not be what you want to hear but there have been studies done that illness is actually harder on men than women. When you are sick you feel week and tired. Women experience this monthly (menstruation). We are used to pushing through and having no choice but to get over it. Our husbands like to be pampered when they are ill just like we (I) expect my husband to give me a break when I have mood swings. It's give and take, we all need a little sympathy once in a while. It can be especially hard when you have children too. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I don't get much help period with the house and sometimes I want to come out of my skin. Men are our children too, I guess. I'm going back to work (I work from home now) and I told my husband if he doesn't help me then we'll just eat out every night. Good luck.

Hi, A.:
Remember when he actualy dies, your life will be forever changed.
You won't be able to bring back to life these times when you wished you would have been more loving.
Kiss him and nurture him.
When you are sick, mimic him.

Not to be mean but tell him to "suck it up" Many men find all kinds of excuses to slack.....I'll bet when you get sick you don't get the support do you? When my DH is sick I'll give him a break and attend to his needs and pick up the load of caring for our three kids. We both work fulltime...If I get sick and am bedridden guess what I better get a break too :)

Men are babies. Period. I think you'll just have to live with it. And if you baby him, he'll just feel super loved and it will improve your relationship. Listen to his whining and say you're so sorry he's sick. Don't keep score and think that things should be even to be fair. Fairness means that everyone gets what they need, not that they're treated the same.

If you had my husband instead of yours for a day, believe me, you would cater to your husband's every stuffed-up whim. Appreciate how wonderful he is when he's not sick. Colds don't last very long, and then it won't be an issue anymore!

hahahahha, my husband is this way too. Its why we have the babies!

1 / 3