Humidifier in Bedroom or No?

All the medical advice everywhere says to put a cool mist humidifier in my baby's bedroom when she's congested, but on the directions for the humidifier it says not to put it in a room where children are sleeping because it could get too moist. What am I supposed to do??

Thanks for all your thoughts! I think I'll just put it in there. She really needs it, poor girl!

we use the humidifier as well, we also got a vick's vapor plug in. My litte guy's nose was so stuffed up and that helped a lot. Also use saline mist. Good luck

You could get a humidistat (or whatever they are called) to measure the relative humimdity in the room, and turn the humidifier off when it shows it's too moist. Too moist is somewhere over ~60% (This from my memory, so you may want to investigate for yourself), and the risk may be that it creates a breeding ground for bacteria when it's too moist.

I have used humidifiers in my kids rooms all night. One word of warning though. Make sure you do not let water stand in the machine when not in use, and clean them regularly to make sure no mold forms.

Ignore the directions. Use the humidifier. Unless you have it running at maximum 24/7, I cannot imagine how a room would get too moist.

I never used the cool mist kind. I used the regular humidifier. It helped the kids when they were sick. My Mom did it that way and I am still here to talk about it. When my son got older and I didn't want the regular plugged in humidifier in his room I bought those vapor plug ins. They work great too. More expense, but I don't have to worry about him getting out of bed and playing with the humidifier.

That's definitely a liability avoidance statement. Here in Chicagoland there's no such thing as "too moist" in winter. I have used humidifiers for years as my boys get nose bleeds when it's too dry. If you walk into the babby's bedroom, you'll know if it feels too moist.
We also use the plug-in vaporisers which are great for keeping noses unclogged. However, make sure your baby can't get up and touch it as some of them might be too hot.

It is definitely ok to have a humidifier in the baby's room!!!! Some humidifiers come with a gauge that tells you the moisture content in the air...i.e. ranges for normal breathing and what is best for congestion/colds. We have one and it is very helpful. I use the warm mist humidifier..I talked to the pediatrician and both are ok to use..Of course the warm mist you have to be more cautious of because it can get hot and risk a burn but I like them because there is less chance of mold and the bedroom becoming too cold at night.

We have one in our daughter's room all night, and the humidistat never goes above 27%. No way is it "too moist!"

1 / 3