HUGE Blood Clots & Bright Red Blood During Cycle

So I have always had a pretty normal cycle. I am 31, and have 3 children and had a tubal in 2005. After the tubal, I started having major cramps and small clots, which I never ever had before. I would normally take hot bathes and meds and be fine. I started my cycle on 12/22, and yesterday mornning when I was driving to work, I felt like I had urinated on myself. When I got to work, I had completely soaked thru my pad(I stopped wearing tampons 3 years ago), and had a clot the size of an egg! It freaked me out! I cleaned up, and within the next hour the same thing happened. I completely soaked thru another pad and another huge clot! I am not in any pain, but I had to make a run to CVS because by lunch I had used up the pads I brought with me. Then while driving home it came all the way thru to my clothes, and I didnt get any sleep because it kept happening all night. I have NEVER soaked thru a pad before. And its still going on this morning. I called my mom, and she said my periods might start to become irregular and mentioned something about try taking estrogen. I am not on any birth control.

I lost my job of 8 years in October along with my medical benefits. I am just now getting back on my feet and wont be eligible for benefits till February. Just wondering if I should go to the doctor, which in this case, I'd have to sit up in the ER, and not to happy about that idea.

Anyone have this happen to them or someone you know?

Well.....IT STOPPED!!, on christmas eve. My cycle ran is course, and I had those 2 1/2 days of madness and then it was over. I am just wondering if this what my cycle is going to be like from now on....

Please seek medical advice for this! This much bleeding and such large clots are most likely a sign of something. It could be hormonal or it could be a cyst or tumor...This is something that NONE OF US are qualified to help you with UNLESS someone is a doctor!

My periods were always 3 days, very light, no problems. Then after I had my first child (at age 39) they started being horrendous! Huge clots, soaking through tampons and pads over and over, having "accidents" for the first time in my life! And the cramping would be TERRIBLE, so much so that it would wake me up at night. Some months it is better, and seems to be getting better with time (somewhat). I don't think there is much they can do for it. I always thought girls were over-reacting and big babies for not being able to handle their periods. Now unfortunately I see what they were complaining about. I don't think there is much they can do to help - but it should get better with time.
Good luck to you - you are not alone!

I would call or go to your local health dept. I believe that most of them offer womens services and they are based on income. It might be you best bet to get madical attention without going into medical debt.
Good luck!!!

My mom had the same problem post-tubal ... turns out she developed serious fibroids and pollyps in her uterus. it caused serious anemia and low blood counts. She landed up having a hysterectomy in her early 30's because of it. Now I've have the same crappy problem for the last few years and I'm only 34. I have had this show up when i'm hiking and camping with my scout troop and let me tell you, it's embarrassing and has actually made me cancel my participation in events because of it. i'm so sick of it upsetting my life that i feel like i want a voluntary hysterectomy sometimes!!! The clots are painful sometimes as they "run their course" so to say!!!

MOST IMPORTANT, as others have stated though, since we are NOT medical professionals you seriously should HAVE THIS EVALUATED BY MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL because it can be from a host of problems from the aforementioned to cysts and tumors to endometriosis which CAN spread to other organs if left untreated. I have been told by my GYN and nurse practitioner that if you are soaking more than a heavy-duty pad in an hour, then you may be hemmoraging and should seek attention promptly.

See the practitioner and work out a fee. let them know you don't have insurance and see if they'll work with you.

Dear A.,
Because it is Christmas eve day where you live, I would try to at least consult with a nurse via phone before the Holiday kicks in.

Or is there a woman's health hotline you can call???

Best of Luck and feel good. Remember to take care of yourself so that you can take care of the others that depend on you.

My advice is to go to the ER. I know it could be a long wait but the fact that your losing so much blood and you're clotting that much in such a short period is concerning. Better to be safe and find out your options that windup in dire situation down the road. You have children & a hubby to be there for. Please, just goto the hospital as soon as you could. Please keep us posted.

I've spent many a night in the ER with friends and can tell you that unless you are hemoraging they can't do much for you.

What's happening to you is not abnormal, just not what you are used to. I know several people including myself who have gone through this, and the change is usually triggered by a hormonal change, which can be triggered by a number of environmental factors such as stress, moving, change in exercise or eating habits, etc...

If you call your local health department they can assist you in getting a low cost pap and you can discuss this with a gyn.

Good luck to you - you are not alone!

funny you should type this up just before i was fixing to. I am only 25. I have 2 kids. After my daughter I had a tubal done. i was 24 when i got it done. Ever since then my period has been completely different. i started having SEVER hot flashes. i called my dr and they did blood work to check my hormones and everything came out fine. i told my doctor about the clots, and she said as long as they are not bigger than a quarter i dont have to worry. BUT, if they were bigger than a quarter i should call her. the first 2 days of my period i have to wear a super plus tampon AND a pad b.c i bleed right through them both. the cramps are terrible and the PMS is insaine. ( i have never had cramps nor PMS before the tubal) i still have the hot flashes and i have no answers. my mom has cysts on her overies and she says her periods are really bad. soo, im thinking that may be our answer. i would call your docotor and tell them. ALSO, if you are a long time patient wtih your docotor, you can tell them your insurance situation and they might see you as a "charity" case. (i work for a doctors office and we do that , as needed, for some of our long time patients that are having a hard time. hey it cant hurt to ask.
good luck!

Hi, A., I'm P. and know exactly how you feel. It's a very scary thing. I dealt with the same thing from age 13 until menopause 3 years ago, except with coffee mug sized clots. Mine was due to endometriosis, which is, partly, an imbalance in the hormonal system. I agree with the other ladies who have recommended seeing your GYN, or a Centra Care if it goes beyond your normal cycle duration. It could be hormonal imbalance, or fibroids, although fibroids tend to grow slowly and take quite a long time to reach this stage, and the additional stress with your job situation could also be a factor. Especaially in light of the tubal, its best to be safe and consult a GYN. Hope all goes well for you and you're able to find an affordable solution.

1 / 3