Hubby Says Toddler and Newborn Can Sleep in the Same Room?

We're going to have our second baby in 2 weeks, and my DH thinks that my 20 month old (who is now sleeping in his big boy bed because he climbed out of his crib just last week) is going to sleep through the night and stay down when we have a newborn sleeping in the same room with him. We have an extra bedroom in the house, and it's not as close to where the kids would be sleeping if we separate them, and we'd have to buy a monitor and stuff (right now we can hear kid #1 through an open interior hallway to his room .... weird apartment). Anyway, my question is: 1) has anyone had success having 2 children under the age of 2 sleep in the same room? 2) will my 20 month old still come in to see what's going on, regardless of what room we put him in, and so is it a moot point to create another separate space for him ? Am I right, that kids won't sleep together well until the baby is a little older? Thanks for any input or help you can give.

UPDATE: And what about changing the kids in the night, if they're sharing the nursery and the baby is in her bassinet in our room? Do we set up a separate changing area, so that I don't have to keep going into my son's room to change the baby after I nurse???

Hey there... I put my girls in the same room.. my big girl was almost 3 and the baby was just about 2 months when I moved her into the room and out of the pack and play next to my bed. I did however put the girls together in the same room for naps (from the start) so it wouldnt be unexpected for either. Maybe you could start w naps too so all of you could get used to the arrangement.
good luck & enjoy!

Hey M.,

I had the same issue. My son, at the time I was expecting the second child, was going to be 2 yrs. old. We put the crib up in the bedroom and we found him continually climbing into the the babies crib. So we decided that when the baby came they would not share a bedroom for now. Better to be safe. I don't doubt that some have had success with children sharing a room with an age difference.

Hello - we just put our 2nd daughter (4 months) in the same room with our 3 yr old. The 3 yr old goes to bed first then we put the baby down after. They have been doing great, I try to make sure that if one is up for some reason sooner than the other one, that I take them out of the room as to not wake the other.

I am expecting my 2nd as well and we are planning on keeping the baby in our room in a bassinet/cosleeping until he is 3-4 months and then try putting him in the room with my 3 1/2 year old. I know most of the time my older son will sleep through quite a lot when it is the middle of the night, so I am hoping this will work out as we don't have any other options! I have thought of putting the kids in the master bedroom since there is more space and moving us to the smaller one. That way there is more room between their beds maybe the baby won't wake up my older son as much.

I would just keep a few diapers and a tub of wipes in your room for middle of the night changes.

When my youngest (16mo old) was born we first put her in a bassinette in our room. When she became about 6mo old we put her in a room down the hall with her sister who was then about 2 1/2yrs old. It worked out fine...they learned to adjust to each others sleeping habits. Both of my oldest (5 & 3) still come in to our room here & there.
To sum it up...yes it works sharing a room with little ones...of course everyone has to work at it & adapt.

Hope this helps!

I am in your same situation, and here is what I am doing. I have a 2 1/2 year old boy and a newborn girl. My plan (and I'll let you know how it goes! ;-) is to keep the baby with me in our room in a bassinet. With my son, I had him in the nursery in his crib from day 1. With the bassinet in my room, it makes it so much easier to nurse and far less distriptive to my limited sleep. My intent is to move my daughter into my the "children's" room when she has longer, more consisten sleep patterns -- hopefully 3-4 months. My concern, like yours, was that my toddler won't be able to sleep with a crying baby and a well-rested toddler makes for a happier home!

Good luck, and I am sure whatever you do will be great!

My kids slept in the same room starting when the baby was about 9 months and his brother was 4. I would have hesitated to put a 20-month-old with a newborn, but my kids could climb into the crib by that age. Personally, I'd wait until the baby is mostly sleeping through the night. You already have to wake up no matter where the baby is, so why wake up your other child, too?

But then, I kept both newborns in our room until they were older. I didn't like to go more than a couple of feet when I had to get up for a feeding!

Think about this for a moment. Most of humanity, for most of the world's history, has had limited sleeping space, often a single room for an entire family. With that background, you know that sleeping arrangements are just not that important.

More specifically, we have five daughters and for many years they all slept in the same room, all ages. We had a bassinet (big luxury!) for the last two but it was still pretty close in proximity to their room. Sometimes they wake up, sometimes not. Doesn't matter; they adjust to everything. It's what families do.

And try, please for your own sake just try, not to stress or even care about when the new baby sleeps "through the night," which I put in quotes because you will hear it so much. I myself do not sleep through the night, so why should I care if a baby wants to nurse? I did it for years because none of mine ever slept through the night at a young age. It was no big deal; I'd just nurse and possibly change them, not even putting the lights on. Usually no one woke up but me. Sweatless.

Hi M., My two daughters are 21 months apart. Our first house was a cape cod and we only had two bedrooms. Our goal was to get the newborn to sleep throught the night before joining her with her older sister in the same room (2 seperate cribs though). Anyway, we had the infant in our room for the first 2-3 months. She apparently was not able to make it through the night because she "smelled" my scent (a veteran mom told me). So....we moved her into the same room with her sister. The transition lasted 2 nights and she began sleeping throught the night. Her older sister did not seem to hear her cry...I know, crazy. I guess they get into a deep sleep!*! Good Luck!

good luck & enjoy!

1 / 3