How Young Is Too Young to Start a Child on Music Lessons (Piano Perhaps?)

I'm in the chicago area and wondered if my son is kinda of young to be starting music lessons. He's 5 but will be 6 in October.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. While I feel that 5 might be a bit young it doesn't hurt to check out the resources you have given me. I especially like that Wright College is offering classes. Right now I'm taking a class myself at Portage Park and I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks everyone!

My sister, brother, and I all started piano lessons at age 5. I think this is a good age to start, but wouldn't go any earlier than that.

I don't think so, my sister's kids started about 4 or 5 and they are now 10 and 12 and really like it.

B.,
My four year old son took at 5 week piano course (Mom & Tots) at Wright College. While he definitely learned something, it was extremely difficult to get him to practice. Since you live on the NW side, you probably are fairly close to Wright College. This may be a good place to start. It is an inexpensive class.

I started the violin at 26 months and the piano at age 5. If you can find a teacher to take them at that age, I think it's great. The ears are mroe sensitive the younger the child and it is much easier for them to pick up tonal differences when they are younger. Also, I think it's great when music is more like second nature than like work, which I do think comes about from starting young. I've started violin with my daughter (albeit not super seriously thus far) and she'll be 3 in November.

From a music teacher's perspective, I will say it depends on the child and depends on the teacher! Some kids are ready for it at age 5 or early, if paired with a teacher that has experience with young children!

I agree that the teacher has to be the one. My kids didn't start piano until they were 7, that was the age 2 teachers told me. Their reason was that they could read better by then, their hands were bigger (finger spread to keys) and they weren't playing by "ear", a habit that teachers don't like to have to begin with. The teacher and their methods is who dictates it. The teachers that I had were "old school" somewhat so things may have changed, but I am just giving you their perspective. We have 3 musicians now who all took piano, then flute and now one is doing percussion! Music is wonderful!

1 / 3