How Young Is Too Young for Halloween

My son will be 1 year and 2 days old on Halloween. I want to get him a costume just for the cute pictures, even though he obviously won't go trick or treating. My boyfriend thinks that it's a waste of money since we are really just getting the costume for the pictures. Is my boyfriend right? Is it a waste of money? Or am I right? Are the pictures too cute to pass up?

Oh--get him a costume.
Unless it's taking food off the table.
LOTS of things with kids are a "waste of money" but they are sometimes worth it because they are fun!

My eldest child was about 10 days old on her first Halloween, and I still dressed her up :) I say go for it! Have fun :)

He can totally do it! We dressed my son up as a lobster when he was 10 months old and he had a ball in the costume. We pulled him in a wagon/carried him around the neighborhood and he laughed and laughed at all the people telling him how cute he was and pretending to eat his claws. He won't miss it if you don't take him out, but he will definitely enjoy the unique stimulation of a different kind of experience. They have fun Halloween events at cider mills and malls and stuff too so you can get extra mileage out of the costume!

If it's about the money, you can get costumes at Salvation Army or a consignment shop, or ask friends with older kids if they have any. You can also make a lot of neat costumes fairly easily.

Oh--get him a costume.
Unless it's taking food off the table.

My daughter was 8 months old for her first Halloween. She loved dogs even then so I made her a dog costume. It was adorable! We were also renting our first house, so we stuck her in the stroller & took her "trick or treating" just to show her off! Didn't go to too many houses. And we ate the candy of course! hehe

Hi Victoria_Rae,

My sister is 8 months pregnant and will be decorating her 'baby bump' as a jack-o-lantern.
I tried to talk her into being the snap/pod part of the pea, with the baby bump as the inside pea, but she thought just one pea was dumb.... so jack-o-lantern it is ;-)

I don't think there is ANY age that is too young for fun!

I will preface this by saving, that I love Halloween. I personally think parents buying presents for a first birthday is a waste of money since they get so many from other people but I don't think a costume is a waste of money in this case. No, I would not spend more than 20 dollars. Why not take the baby out in the stroller at Halloween so he can see everyone and everyone can say what a cute baby you have? Or you could stay home and give out candy but bring the baby to the door in his costume. Make sure the costume is comfortable and not too warm or too cold and he should have no issue wearing it a long time.

I made my daughter a flower bunting and a fleece hat with butterflies for her first Hallween. She was 4 months old. We didn't go "trick or treating" per se but we did go visit family in town. I like what another poster suggested, Salvation Army. You can also google Family Fun. They have a lot of fun (some no sew) ideas for costumes.

I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a costume but find something cute, take pictures and show your son off to the trick or treaters that come to your door. My daughter (who's 5 now) was just looking through a photo album the other day and saw herself in a pumpkin costume, she was only a couple months old so she got a kick out of it!

1 / 3