How to Wear Soccer Gear

Okay, our five year old is starting soccer this Spring (mid-March actually). We went and purchased her shin guards, socks, cleats and ball this week. However, when we get her dressed we're not sure if the shin guards go over or under the soccer socks. Anyone have experience with this?? We're totally confused...

Thank you moms!! My husband thought they went under the socks, my reasoning was they had these cool designs and colors why would you hide them :) It seems though, that I was mistaken (not the first, and I'm sure not the last). I liked the advice to put a pair of regular socks on first, then the shin guards and then the soccer socks. A lot of layers, but I'm sure it will keep her more comfortable. Thank you for helping us clear this up!!!

Hello V. - I can give you a definitive answer as I've got two soccer playing sons and my husband has been a soccer coach for years - shin guards go on first, then the socks on top of them. If the shin guards get smelly I wash them in a gentle wash in the washer. Have fun with soccer - good luck - Alison

I have to tell you; my husband and I had a little laugh about your question. As United States Soccer Federation Referee's I am pleased that you ask this before your daughter hit's the pitch. AYSO sometime says it's ok to wear the gurds on the outside. However; FIFA rules state that shin guards are to be worn UNDER the socks and to be covered at all times. If the sock slips fix it; we don't jump down player's back just because the edge of the guard is showing. This is in fact for all player safety.
Good luck and remember it's just a game. Have fun.
Michelle

The guards go on under the socks for games. For practice, you can do whatever you want unless the coach says differently. Welcome to the soccer mom world!

I remember feeling that way last fall. They go under the socks.

shin guards go under socks

Hello V., I am sure you had alot of response already, but just in case.. the shin guards go under the socks and should stop about 3 inches ( at least) from the knee cap. My 3 boys all play soccer and have been playing for years.. one thing I wanted to mention is sometimes when a child plays alot.. they can get something called "contact dermatitis" It occurs when the shin guards rub and rub in the same place ( the top of the shin). my son actually wears high socks, then his guards then his soccer socks on top of that. I know it sounds HOT, but it really works for him. Good luck and I hope your children have fun.

Hi V.,
Generally, the shin guards go on the inside. When my kids were little, the refs did not care, but as they got older, it was required that they were under the socks.
Have fun, I love my daughters' soccer games, even after 7 years of them!

I played Soccer for YEARS and everyone seems to do it different. I always put regular socks on, then my shin pads, then my soccer socks....this way the shin guards don't get all yuck from sweat and sometimes they would irritate my skin if they were directly on it...really there isn't a rule on how and if their is I never knew about it for the 12 years I played for...lol.

1 / 3