How to Wake up Husband?? ... How NOT to Wake up Daughter??

My husband, daughter (22mos) and I live a smaller apartment, and my daughter's room is right next to ours. Recently, she's been waking up to his alarm... at 4am!... and staying up until nap at 12:30pm, if not later. Talk about draining!

Now, in the rare chance that she doesn't wake up at the 4am alarm, chances are likely she'll wake up at one of the 4 minute increments of snoozes, as my husband will sometimes hit until 5:30. Needless to say, I'm going a little crazy at this point.

My hubby claims he doesn't remember ANYTHING, so there's nothing he can do. He says he'll sleep on the couch downstairs, but I don't want to sleep without him 5 days a week!

What do I do???

Well, we've been using the humidifier, which seems to have helped a little bit... and when she DOES wake up @ 4am to my husband's alarm... it seems to help her to fall back asleep... sometimes. We've also been using a nature sounds CD... I haven't really noticed a difference either way with it.

Also, over the weekend, she woke up around 3 and we couldn't get her back down until 5ish both days... no alarms at all. Apparently, she's sleeping really light during these hours, but I have no idea why.

I have deaf family members and we have an alarm that is connected to the lights so that they flick off and on making no noise whatsoever.

And I agree DH needs to address the waking up issue.

Yep.....my daughter even sleeps with me sometimes, and if I have my alarm on vibrate, and place it under my pillow........I WAKE UP! Not her......or you could place it on the bed somewhere........

I have seen alarm clocks that emit a light and the light is supposed to wake you up gradually. I don't know if it would work but at least it would be quiet!
G.

I vote for sound machine. I have sound machines in all my kids rooms and it drowns most external noises out.

As I see that you already have some response all pretty much the same. Please understand that your child's sleeping pattern will change from time to time. Another alternative that can be used should you lose signal to your cell and is this device is used among the deaf and hh community (ever wonder how they wake up to go to work?) ...is an alarm bed shaker. You can google it and find them. It allows you to wake up without disturbing another person in the house. They also have ones that it is placed under the pillow in the situation that husband and wife are sleeping and only one has to wake. This method is designed to wake one of the parties instead of the alarm waking up both individuals.

Just another alternative to throw out there in the wind-in case you need to pass it on to someone who could use this advice as well.
Best of luck.

Mom of 4.

First of all, for yours and your daughter's sake, you husband has to take responsibility for this problem and stop setting the alarm for 4am. Snoozing for an hour & a half? - that is RIDICULOUS!! (not top mention disrespectful to you and unacceptable) Have him set the alarm for the EXACT time he NEEDS to wake up, and not a minute earlier. One time of him being late to work will cure that snooze button problem.

Secondly, I can personally attest that sound machines do work! We are in the same situation in a tiny house with thin walls - you can hear anything from anywhere in the house. My daughter used to wake if our dog rattled her metal collar tags! I have 2 kids( 3yrs & 16m), and both now have sound machines set to "white noise" in their rooms. At naps & bedtime I pop them on, and it helps settle them down and KEEP then down throughout the night and early morning alarm & routines. We got our sound machines at Brookstone, but I'm sure you can find them a number of places. I will say that I looked into the cheaper one sold at Babies R Us, and found it to be too "quiet" to really make a difference. I doubt that a regular fan or humidifier would be loud enough in my house either, but it's worth a shot! We have window unit a/c units in the summer, which are awesome.

Lastly, one idea I hadn't seen suggested yet: how about setting up a timer (the type used when going on vacation) on a lamp in your room? Hopefully he has a lamp on his side of the bed, and it could be set to turn on 5:00am everyday, or whenever he needs to wake up. Other than that, I've seen alarm clocks that mimic the sun rising, with increasing amounts of light emitted to wake you naturally. They have regular buzz/beep backups to the light, if that doesn't work.

Best wishes to you!

I definitely agree with a white noise machine. Babies R Us sells one for about 20 bucks - I think it's called The Sound Machine. It plays all sorts of sounds and it continues all night and we even use it during naps. We like the wave sound. Hope you can find something - you definitely don't need to be up at 4am! Don't give up! Stay at home moms do not have to be up at the crack of dawn! Good luck. :)

I put on the radio when my kids go to bed so it stays on all night. It's usually a jazz station, or something like that which won't turn to talk radio. Once in a while I've had it on a station that does talk it that doesn't seem to bother them. This is what has always been done, so I think it's just what they're used to. The sound machine is a good idea too. Anything that'll give constant noise in her room that'll drown out the sound of his alarm. I can't say anything about his alarm/snooze habits, because I'm in the same boat. I set my alarm for 5:15am & don't get out of bed until 6:30!!

Try putting something in your child's room that makes white noise. A sound machine that plays nature sounds will work (and are cheaper than those called "white noise" machines). I run a vaporizer in my daughter's room and that works great too. A fan will also work.

It makes a HUGE difference. When we were in our apartment, my bedroom shared a wall with my daughters and it was the only wall her crib fit on. But with the humidifier working, she rarely woke up when I got up or while I got ready.

Also, could you husband use his cell phone as an alarm - put it on vibrate and place it under the pillow? Worth a shot . . .

Try using a different alarm clock (i.e. cell phone). Try out different ring tones to see which one will wake up your husband and not your daughter. Always have the main one go off at 5:30 as a back up to make sure that your husband wakes up if the other ring tones do not.

Hi A., Your hubby sounds like mine used to be. It's time to use your elbow and stop that snooze alarm! Put the alarm on your side of the bed. When it goes off you elbow him, nudge him, whatever until he gets up...then you go back to sleep. This worked for us until my hubby got used to getting up with the first ring of his alarm (I think the snooze thing is a hold over from b.c. life...before Children). Good luck!

1 / 3