How to Unlock an Interior Bathroom Door

My two year old just locked and then shut our downstairs bathroom door. Fortunately, she was outside the bathroom or I would be calling 911 instead of asking you guys for help... does anyone know how to "pick" a lock, it's the kind that has the little button your turn, right to lock, left to unlock? The locks on the doors I used to have were easy to pick, all you had to do was stick a paper clip in them and push a little button and they would unlock, but they were the kind of knobs you pushed in and turned to lock. I've tried a paper clip on this door, but to no avail. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions... I used a tiny flathead screwdriver (the kind that comes with an eyeglass fix kit) and after several attempts, found the little slot to turn the lock... and presto! Thanks again!

Some of these types of locks have a small slot on the round flange that abuts up to the door. You insert a small metal tool in there and it releases the lock. I would call your local Home Depot or Lowe's - I'm sure they could help you. Knowing what brand lock it is should help, too. This should be stamped on the door lock. Hope you get it unlocked! :) I have used a flexible driver's license before to get a door unlocked but this will only work of the lock is facing the correct direction - it's just like in the movies, you slide it between the door & the jamb and run it up & down until the lock releases. You have to have the laminated ID type card, though. It has to be flexible enough to bend.

Hey D.! good you found a way to unlock it. It sounds like you've got the same locks we have. Does the doorknob on the outside of the bathroom have a tiny hole? If so you should have been given a tool with your doorknobs. It looks like an L and you slip it in the hole and turn it like a key and viola the door is unlocked....ask at a hardware store if they have any or where you might could purchase some for the next time this might happen..... :0)

Try a credit card in the door jamb, right where the latch is. There should be no problem with it coming open.

I believe you have the kind you are going to need the smallest flat head screwdriver you can find. It will need to be long enough though. You put the screwdriver in the little hole and if you turn the screwdriver you should feel a slot where the screwdriver should fit and you turn it. This might take a few times because you can miss the little slot. Hope it's the same kind of door.

Tool trucks such as Snap-on or Cornwell and sometimes Advanced Auto or Auto Zone carry a great pocket sized screw driver that we have always used just for unlocking interior doors! They usually have a magnetic end and a clip on them like an ink pen that mechanics use to keep them in their pockets. They are way stronger than the eye glass repair screw drivers! You should buy 10 of them!

My doors have a "key" to unlock them with. Has a flat tip on one end that fits into the hole on the knob. The tip fits in a groove inside the knob and you turn it to unlock it. Not sure what to use if you don't have one as the hole is small. You might could use a flathed screwdriver if you found one small enough to go in the hole. Good luck! Maybe check at Lowe's or Home Depot to see if they have extra keys for sale.

My son did the same thing and I had to unscrew the doorknob from the door to get him.

Take a screwdriver and unscrew the screws on each side of the knob.then you can pull the knob off and open the door with your hand.

1 / 3