How to Treat a Swollen/cut Lip for My 12 Month Old?

How should I treat a swollen, cut lip for my 12 month old? My 12 month old son recently started walking and is sometimes still a bit wobbly when he is getting tired. Sunday evening before bathtime, he fell, hit the corner of a chair, and bit his lip. It took about 15 minutes to stop the bleeding initially. My husband let him play with some plastic toys while I was getting his bath ready, and the bleeding started again. It took another 15 minutes to get it to stop. Partly because my husband and I were disagreeing on how to stop the bleeding. The book I have on childcare said to apply pressure, yet my husband didn't want to do that. Anyway, the bleeding stopped, but my son kept sucking on his lip and the bleeding would start again. This entire episode went on for about 45 minutes. I really don't do well with the sight of blood and the fact that it was my baby's blood made it worse! Finally we got the bleeding to stop, I gave him his bath, and let him have some formula and a story before bedtime. In the morning there was a little bit of blood in the corner of his mouth and his lip was sollen. It is still swollen. I haven't let my son play with any of his plastic toys today because I am afraid that he will make is lip start bleeding again. How long does it take for the swelling to go down? I smashed up most of his food, even though he usually eats a bit more textured food, because I don't want him to do a lot of chewing and bite his lip where it is swollen. How should I treat his swollen lip? How long should I wait for the swelling to go down before taking him to see a doctor? Thanks in advance for any replys.

My son’s lip has finally healed, and I can see his cute smile again. I would like to say thank you to all the mothers who answered my request. I am truly touched by your caring suggestions. I printed them all out and consolidated the main points of your answers into one answer for future reference. Actually, my son fell a second time and bit his lip again the day after I received most of your replies, so they really helped me to stay calm. And thankfully, it was on the other side of his lip. I gave him ice wrapped in a washcloth when it happened, and let him suck on it for a while. I also put the transitioning to a sippy cup on hold and went back to his bottles for a couple of days. It made it easier to apply a cold compress while he took his bottle. I will try freezing some washcloths for the future. (That is a great idea for teething as well!) Right now, he doesn’t really seem to like the Popsicle idea. He has only tried something cold a couple times, so perhaps he just needs more practice. He had ice cream at his birthday and one Popsicle after the second fall. I will definitely try the Popsicle idea later. I will probably make my own Popsicles though since there is a risk of my son developing diabetes. Plus, I can sneak in a few nutrients as well. Thanks again for your wonderful replies. I’m so glad there is a place like mamasource!

Popsicles and the cold teething rings. My 3 year old just needed stitches on his upper lip - his swelling was worse the next day and better each day after that. His was gone by the 4th day (maybe even late on the 3rd day).

It'll take a few days for the swelling to go down but it will. In the meantime if you can get him to sit still long enough you can put a cool wash cloth on it. Also you can wrap ice in a wash cloth and put it on his lip to help. The main thing is time though. There shouldn't be any reason to have to take him to the doctor unless after a period of 3-4 days the swelling hasn't let up any. It should go down after a few days though. I wouldn't worry too much. That's good to chop up his food a little smoother because it will lessen the chance of him biting his lip because he wont have to chew as much.

I am 31 and have been married for almost 12 yrs. My husband and I have 3 boys ages 10,7, and 4.

If you lay a washcloth out flat, you can then pick it up from the center. This makes a good point & a nice bunchy handle. Then wet the tip about half way down & freeze.
When mouth boo boo's happen (and teething!!) just pull out a washcloth & let them chew on it or hold it on their mouth.
The dry end won't be cold & the cold end will feel great.
Be sure to store them in the freezer in a baggie to keep them clean. :o)

A cold wash cloth always worked for my kids. It will help absorb the blood and chances are they'll suck on it and that in and of itself will stop the bleeding. I know it sounds counterintuitive to think that sucking will stop the bleeding, but a rag does wonders for a bleeding lip.

Trust me when I tell you that boys will be boys and they will have tons of falls and bust open their lips and knees and heads and little elbows...but you have to stay calm and not let them see that it effects you because then they'll freak out.

I don't know if you remember your clumsy days as a kid, but i do and I can tell you that when I fell, and even if I bled...it usually wasn't a big deal. Accidents will happen...and it is great to be able to teach your kids to roll with the punches.

Hi D.,

The best thing I have ever tried for busted lips is popsicles. Kids love them so they will keep the "ice" on the lip for the duration of the popsicle. The swelling should begin to go down and the coldness will help with any pain. You can give the little one as many popsicles as you wish and the healing will be pretty quick. I have many children I have cared for and this always does the trick! With the energetic little guy you have on your hands, you better stock up!

God bless,

For the future remember that cold and a little pressure will stop the bleeding and keep the swelling down. A cold wash rag with a little ice in it works wonders!
What your son did is normal. Sort of like when you bite the inside of your mouth and it swells you tend to run your tongue over it a lot etc., because it feels different.
I empathize with your reaction! The first time something like that happens all of our emotions leap out at us!

I made all my son's food so once, when I had extra pureed peaches, I put them in to one of those popsicle molds. Whenever he falls and splits his lip (it has happened 4 times so far) we give him one. It helps stop the bleeding, cuts down on the swelling and keeps him happy :) You can also blend yogurt and fruit and then freeze them for a little more substance if you want!

Give him a popsicle for his swollen lip.

Popsicles and cold teething rings or toys.

I know exactly how you feel, I have a twelve month old that has recently started walking and she fell the other day and hit her mouth in our garage on the concrete floor! It was horrible (more for me than her) but we tried a flexible ice pack and she didn't really hold still for that, so we let her chew on a cold wash cloth. It did the trick. I would definitely say if you put something on it, do peroxide and NOT alcohol, as it would burn beyond belief! But, my mom who is a nurse was there and said she would be just fine with the cold rag. I think as moms seeing our first babies bleed, it is way harder on us than it is on them! She was playing again before I had even wiped my tears! Hope this helps!

1 / 3