How to Train My 9 Month Old to Use Sippy Cup? He Just Chews on the Cup.

I have a 9 month old baby boy and I'd like to introduce sippy cup. I have bought several kinds of them and usually he treats them as toys and just chew on them since he is teething.

How do you train yours and how long will it take?

Many thanks,

Or is it too early for 9 month

Thank you so much Moms!! I'll go to get the Nubi silicon spout one for my baby and also try taking the plug part out. Can't wait to see how he likes it. The sippy cup we have has the hard spout and it is difficult to suck the water out.

Appreciate your tips and will keep you informed of how he progresses....

I started my son on a sippy cup at 4 months and he did the same thing until I bought one by Nubi. It has a silicone spout and he can drink from that one fine. He's also teething so at times he chews on it. I just take it away when he starts that. I really suggest getting one made by Nubi. They are great. Here's a link
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=279336...

I started my son with a sippy cup somewhere between 7 and 8 months. He also did the same thing as your son does. There is a brand of sippy cup called a Nubi (sp?) that has a silicon spout and is a good transition from the bottle to a cup. They even make a cup that has a nipple that is similar to the bottle, in case the other one won't work. The entire top is silicon and even if he bites on it, he will get liquid from the cup and will soon figure out to drink out of it. You can buy them at Target. From there I transitioned my son to some of the other sippy cups, like Gerber and Playtex. I'd also say to try the cup out yourself. When I tried the Playtex cup, which was the first cup I got for my son, it was really hard to drink from! You really had to have a strong suck and because the spout is flat, I don't think babies realize they should suck from it. Hope this helps.

hi M., our ped told us to start our girls at 7 or 8 months with the sippy cup. she said just to give it to them and let them chew on it. you can start helping him by holding it for him, but he'll get it. mine did nothing but chew on it for awhile too, until they figured out that if they sucked... liquid came out! lol! hope this helps! R.

have u let him know that something comes outta the sippy.. my daughter will be 9 months on October 12th.. And for the longest time she could not suck hard enuff to get anything out of it.. So i just tried one on her yesterday and she was able to get the liquid out... She normally just plays with it too... so i put it away for a lil while... So then just brought it back out... I would just keep trying than put it away for a lil while than bring it out again.. and just keep trying.

hello M..

my son didn't get the sippy cup thing & someone suggested one of the rubbermaid cups w/a straw so that you had to suck to get the water out. I would give a couple little squeezes & he got water into his mouth. The sucking/ swallowing thing caught on real quick. hope it helps. J.

The chewing sounds normal; especially if he's teething. I didn't use a sippy cup for my oldest (4-year-old) and I am not using one with my baby (6 month old). So, I don't know from experience. I plan on using a regular plastic cup for my baby only because that is what I did the first time.

With my daughter, she did chew on them for awhile, then gradually just learned to suck on them. Just put a little water in. He'll figure it out eventually. I can't remember how old my daughter was when I introduced the sippy.

My daughter didnt like a sippy cup for a while but would not drink water out of a bottle to save her life :) I finally tried a cup with a straw and she loved it. Now she is almost one year and will use both. Good luck

1 / 3