How to Trace a Cell Phone?

Hi, does anyone know how I can trace a cell phone number? We receive periodic prank calls from someone we suspect (possibly their friend's phone) but the number is a cell number. We want to have proof and hopefully put a stop to it. Is there a free way to trace it or do I have to pay for some company online to find out? If anyone has used those online websites to reverse trace cell phones, do they work or give you sufficient information? Thanks in advance.

We did a google on the # and it is a t-mobile # and other sites have no information on who it is. We called T-mobile and they could confirm that it was a T-mobile # but that's it. T-Mobile says that one way to find out who it is is for us to contact some kind of legal authority to contact their legal dept. We also contacted a friend who is in the police force and he said that it would be very hard to obtain info as to who the # belongs to unless we get a subpeona. My husband called the # back right after they called us, the prank caller repeated that his name is James Waldrop but we knew he was still fooling with us, with sounds of quiet laughter in the background. I think I'll give it some time and will call from some other phone and hope to find out a name to the #. It's just very frustrating since we suspect a couple of people, strongly for one of them, but don't have any proof.

Try Intellus website or whitepages.com. It costs about 15.00
but they will give you the information in an email.

You should be able to do a reverse number look up. Just google that and it should give you many websites that are free to do a reverse number look up.

I used to be in law enforcement and the best way to get information without the red tape is to have the "bad guy" give you the information yourself. If they are a child or teen, this setup should be relatively easy. Either you, or someone else should call the cell number (you can use a phone card or pre-paid cell to scramble the number) the point is to make the person on the other end think that you are calling from T-mobile. You can either tell them that they have won 100 free minutes, but that you have to verify their name and mailing address...wait for them to tell you and then take a trip to the parents.

The other thing is to become more heavy handed. When you call, say: "For security purposses can I verify the name of the account holder? and mailing address" If they say John, for example, say "are you John" then tell them:

"John, t-mobile has been provided information that "inappropriate calling" has been originating from your cell phone number. My division had been called in to investigate. If we find that this indeed is the case, this account will be temporarily suspended and you John, as the account holder will be charged a harrassment fee, under the new anti-harrassment laws."

Now you know that there are no harrassment laws, but nine times out of ten, people don't know this kind of thing.

I hate to tell ya this, but you can't. I worked for one of the c.card companys for years in there skip department. Cell phones can't be traced. Your only hope is to try a free web sight called 411. And put the # in reverse look up. It'll tell you where the call is coming from. But wont give you a name. The other thing you can do is call the cell carrier. And have them look up the times the calls have come in. And have them do the work for you. They can put a block on the #. Hope some of these work for ya.

A.

If you have T mobile with every bill sent with mail, a list of every phone number that has called; as well as online through thier website. The time date and number are there.....you could always call that number back and see who answers....but the name is not listened only the time date, what number and if it is incoming or out going. If they have the number marked as Private there realy is no way.

Depending on how long you have had your number and how bad the situation is you can always change your number for 15 dollers.

I had this problem with an ex boyfriend a lonnnnng time ago

V

Do you know the number?? If not you can call your phone company to get it. I was getting them on my cell phone around 2 and 3 am, i called the phone company (cingular), they gave me the number, but couldnt tell me who it is #1 cause its a prepaid and #2 privacy, that you would have to have the police dept, get a warrent for the #, but it still didnt do me any good bc the # was a prepaid, so i just had to deal with the calls, i just started leaving my phone in another room, and didnt answer it, and they stopped. If you know the # call it but block your # so they wont know who it is and more than likely answer it, then catch them!! Good Luck, hope this helps you.

The only places I can think of to identify phone numbers is to try: Switchboard.com, google.com, yahoo.com or intellius (I think this one requires that you pay for it). Hope this helps!

I typed in the simple text message "Tracing." The calls stopped. A text message goes to a landline as a voice message.

1 / 3