How to Tighten Snaps on Articles of Clothing?

I know this is a weird request. I am looking for suggestions on how to tighten the snaps on articles of clothing. My 22 month old twins have a very cute pair of overalls they have only wore twice (once each). The snaps are so loose that the legs come apart and it looks like the boys have chaps on instead of pants. It's cute, but not the look I want, especially since the fall chill is settling in early. Does anyone have suggestions on repairing the snaps to stay closed? Thanks for your help!

I had the same problem with an outfit for my son. Take them to a shoe repair man. . . they should be able to fix them in a "snap!"

I agree with Anne R.
I've also lightly tapped the snaps with a hammer to make them fit together better.
If that fails you can always do the velcro :)

You might try putting small rubbers bands around the receiving end of the snap to make it a bit more snug when you snap them. That way you don't ruin the clothes and it can still be opened.

Hope this helps!

Patti

If the other suggestions do not work, maybe industrial strentgth velcro over each snap will maintain their wearability? I like the pliers suggestion because it seems the flattining of the female end of the snap is one reason they don't stay closed. Good luck.

I had this problem in the past too, and did not find any way to "tighten" them. You can however glue them shut. This way you do lose the use of the snaps, but it was not a problem for me, as I always found it easier to take pants off rather then deal with the leg snaps. I used a product from Home Depot called, I believe, Gorilla Glue.

I had that problem also with a pair of overalls for my son. I just went and got some velcro and sewed it along the seams. It worked for me.

I've seen a tool used to put snaps onto clothing at JoAnn's fabrics (or probably most fabric stores). That might be work to tighten the snaps.

I had the same problem as you. What I did, that really worked was to get a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze the little prong thingys closer together. 9 times out of 10, it worked and stayed tight. Try this, if it doesn't work, go for the glue!

1 / 3