How to Tell If Broken Bone in Toddler's Foot?

Last Saturday, 4 days ago, my 2-1/2 year old fell over on a barstool & it must have landed on the middle of her foot, as it puffed up & looked bruised right away. We iced it, she cried about it awhile, but since then we've taken the watch & see approach. How long would you keep an eye on this, or would you bring her in already? Do they do anything if there is a broken bone, etc. or is it something that heals on its own? I can't decide as it seems like one day I look at it & it looks much better (although still somewhat swollen), and she'll be walking on it fine, no complaining, and the next day it looks bruised again & she'll be whining about it.

I tend to be a watcher vs. someone who takes their kid in at the first sign of a sniffle, but I would feel awful if it was something more serious (wouldn't she be complaining consistently in that case though??). People who have seen it have been split - half say I should probably bring her in, the other half say it's fine. I know, I know, they're not doctors! ;-) I just don't know what to do, as I have to be out of town for work & my 5 months old surgery the next 2 days, and with holidays, year-end stress, etc. It's hard to get off of work this time of year (I'm an accountant), so my original plan was to keep a close eye on it & if it's still bugging her, have her tag along to my son's checkup next Tuesday & have someone take a quick peek at it. What would you do??

New Update: Brought her in & the dr. said it was fine, nothing broken, etc. Guess I should have went with my gut, but you never can tell ;-) Didn't want to be the bad mom! However, even today she still complains about it at least once or twice a day, so it must have been a deep bruise!

1st Update: Thank you for all your input, especially those that did not attack me in the process ;-) I will be taking her in to have it checked out, just to be safe. To those who have criticized my delay in taking her in - apparently my judgement is flawed - things are not always black & white to me. Especially since her foot looked so much better the next day, my gut told me to give it a few days. Sorry, but this is my first experience with a real (possible) injury. So when she was walking/playing/not complaining all day Sunday-Monday, it just didn't stay high on my radar with all the other stresses of this week.

It might be nothing.... but what if it's not? Bones can heal improperly and that is almost worse sometimes than an actual break. That is why I wouldn't wait any longer.

Unless you have x-ray vision this is something you ought to take her to the doctor for. Children heal very quickly. Do you want her bones to heal bent so that she is crippled later on.

If it is broke and it starts healing wrong. They will have to break it and reset it. I would have taken him in.

I would take her in or have your husband or another family member take her. I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to get off work for just a few hours to handle this. Good luck.

She needs an x-ray. Children heal very quickly...if she has a fracture and it heals improperly it could cause problems for her for the rest of her life. Take her in to the urgent care clinic and have it scanned.

Its been 4 days and its not 100% better.. in a case like this I would take her in sooner than next Tuesday. Its better to be safe than sorry. My main thing is that if it is broke/ fractured and its healing wrong.. I would hate to have to watch them rebreak it and set it correctly.

I agree, take her to the doctor. This isn't a sniffle, it is a possible (based on your description, probable) broken bone.

Did the same with my 10 year old's wrist. Finally took her in the next day and yep, it was broken. Hairline fracture. I'd take her in. Just go into carenow and they'll do an xray of it.

1 / 3