How to Teach My Daughter Her Colors?

How did you teach your almost 3yr old to remember his/her colors? Did you use flashcards, coloring books, etc? I'm also trying to help by letting my daughter seperate the laundry weekly.She just doesn't seem interested in any color besides blue, greeen, and red. However, she loves counting any and everything she see. Any ideas? Have a wonderful day.

I made a fun game with it. I went to Home Depot and got the Disney paint chips. I made a matching memory game out of it. He liked it becuase it was in the shape of Mickey. Try it out! Good luck!

My son and I look at a book that my mom gave him that goes over colors,shapes,numbers and opposites, he loves it. I used to ask him what color is this or that? Now he tells me I want for example, I want a red popsicle. It sounds like she likes to learn. Make it fun. do not make it a chore.

Updated

what are the politics bs?

Well my son just turned 3. He knows all his colors already. Just while you are doing normal things, mention the color.

"Today let's wear your red shirt. Or do you want to wear the blue one?" and hold up both and point out which color is which.

"Oooh. Look at our dinner. We have green peas, brown meat, and yellow noodles." again, pointing to each one.

"Which grocery cart do you want? The one that's green, black, or yellow?"

We also buy the multi-colored rigatoni. It comes in green, orange, and I guess it's a tan/yellow. My son picks one up and says that he's going to eat the green noodle.

We watched the Meet the Colors videos a few times (preschoolprepco.com). We rented them for free from our library.

We read a lot of books about colors.

NO I did not do flashcards. He does color a lot with his crayons and I ask him what color he has. He loves/loved M&Ms. I'd point out what color he had and he'd have to tell me the color before he got to eat it. Nerds worked too - name the color before he ate the rainbow colored nerds.

Color is everywhere - so just point it out as often as you think to.

I didn't really "teach" them, I just pointed out what color things were and compared things of different color ("Look, the apples are red and the bananas are yellow" "Let's buy 4 red apples and 2 green apples"). Also, there are plenty of good books for preschoolers that include colors! I think that reading and exploring their natural environment are great opportunities for learning :)

Just make a point of using the names of the colors as you describe every day objects - Do you want your orange or purple cup? Mommy is wearing a brown sweater. Look at the white doggie with the black spots. Do you want to wear your gray shirt with your turquoise pants? That's a gold car. When my son was first started to learn his colors, I would sit next to him as he played and talk about the colors of his toys - quizzing him as he played. We also read stories and pointed out the different colors in the illustrations. Now, we just talk about colors as they come up naturally in conversation.

With my daughter she loved the flash cards, crayons, and painting. Now with my son he learned his colors by playing I Spy while in the car.

Your child would be the perfect age for the FREE program Letter Of The Week at www.letteroftheweek.com!

They set up free lessons to learn letters, numbers, colors and shapes. You focus on one letter/number/color/shape per week.

If you're interested in just colors you can do one color per week and post a colored construction paper on the wall with the word on it, like red. And then all week do things associated with that color, like eat apples, go to an apple orchard, go see red fire trucks and so on. Only talk about that one color all week. Then turn to another easy color for the next week and find anything in the house and outside of the house in trips that are the next color. Review the previous weeks as you go.

With all of that said, kids learn at their own pace. Repetition is the key and consistency. Soon you'll see if finally kicking in.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets

My son and I used to play a game while picking up toys in his room. By putting all the red blocks and toys in one pile and the purple or whatever color toys in another. Or while walking with him would ask him what color something was or say hey Look at that pretty pink flower? Can you say pink?. Best thing was the toys though. he loved that. Had so much fun looking for toys the same color.

I, as a former teacher, have bulletin board style crayon shaped labels on our playroom wall. Show her a color then go to the grocery and try to find foods with that color. You can take pictures of the foods and her eating them, then put them up under each color label. Any time you apply it to her life and she experiences it, it will be a meaningful learning experience for her.

1 / 3