How to Teach a Kindergartener to Read ?

Hi friends ,

My son started kindergarten 3 weeks ago , he still cant read , but he knows the alphabets and sounds very well . I just dont know how and where to start ... I think most of his classmates can read .... I really need a good advice , he will be 6 in 3 months , i want him to read atleast 3 letter words before his bday ... Please friends help me ....

Friends ,

Thank you so much for all the replies , i feel so relieved after reading the replies ... thank you so much ...

My son's K class was reading by the holidays. Some read earlier, some were still struggling a bit at the break.
Start with AT. Add letters to make Cat, Bat, Sat, Mat, Fat, etc.......
Then to IT. make Sit, Fit, Bit, Kit...........

Reading will come when he's ready. It's kind of like riding a bike - all of a sudden, the pieces click, and he's got it. Continue reading to him DAILY. His choice. Read the same books over and over and over and over and over until you want to scream LOL! Ask the teacher for a list of sight words - there are (usually) about 25 that they are "supposed" to know at the end of Kindergarten. Make it a game. We used to play a matching game with some of the kids in my son's class - they have to find the two words that are the same. I remember one specific boy who didn't even know his letter sounds in September. He came back after Christmas break, and it had all clicked, and he was reading the list of sight words. Make it fun, keep it simple, and it will click.

Most kindergarten children do not know how to read. My daughter didn't know how to read when she entered KG but around December of her KG year is when they started learning. She's in 1st grade now and reads what her teacher says is "way beyond a 1st grade reading level." So give it some time, it's only October!

Please don't feel like "he still can't read". Children are not supposed to have to read before they get to kindergarten. R., I have a son who is gifted, has a pretty high IQ, and is in college now, and he didn't actually read until about a month before he started first grade. Did I worry about him because some of his friends were actually reading before him? Heck no.

Reading is a process. Learning the letters and sounds is the first part. That's what they are doing in kindergarten. He's also learning how to be in school. There are rules, and schedules, and new social cues for him to learn. All of this, and more, is important. The reading is just one part.

Give him time to figure all this out. Meanwhile, read, read, read to him! Lots of reading! Point to the word with your finger if you like, and sometimes, point out the first sound, like "buh, buh, ball". That helps.

Truly, many children do not learn until they get to first grade. Your son is not behind.

www.starfall.com

My son will be 5 on the 20th, and has been doing the really easy beginner reading stuff for a few months now. He won't start kindergarten until next year though because of his birthday.
I disagree wholeheartedly, hands down, emphatically, want to throw my computer keyboard (but won't because I'm too cheap to break it, lol), over the lady who said it's not your job to teach your child, but the school's job. I believe that my children are my responsibility. There are schools, teachers, counselors, extra courses, special events, and other educational facilities (libraries, museums, etc) that are there to help me along and we can work together as a team, but if he falls through the cracks or somehow doesn't get it, they go on with their lives. It's is ultimately my responsibility to get the boys through childhood and into adulthood prepared for whatever they may need. It is crazy hard to do that alone though, so yes I do work with other educational leaders in the meantime. To sit back and leave it up to the professionals (who are often just experimenting themselves---there's a new theory and method every 10 years) is lazy.
That said (not so much to you but to the lady who I disagree with): it's great that he knows his alphabet and phonics! Sounds like you've done a lot already, and that's the foundation. I taught my son the letters through songs, drawing/painting, ABC spaghetti o's, I Spy games where we'd look for a letter while walking or driving, the alphabet train floor puzzle, etc. For sounds, we watched Leapfrog's "The Letter Factory" dvd which he liked a lot, we'd play games in normal life, etc. Riley mentioned Starfall.com and I suggest that whole-heartedly. That was the next step I took with my son as well! He thinks he's playing on the computer. He started out on my lap but now he can do a few lessons all by himself while I sit nearby folding laundry and listening to the computer to see that he's doing it correctly (if he gets some things wrong, I'll casually walk over and see how he's doing, and we'll work on whatever he needs work on). On starfall, the first thing is alphabet and phonics (and also numbers if you click that instead), but the next thing is knowing "a+n=an" and then putting another letter with it to match the pictures (a picture of a fan, and in 1 column the letters p, f, r, c....and the child clicks the f and drags it in front of the "an"). The kids think it's a computer game and have fun with it, and it's also teaching them how to control the mouse and listening as well. After mastering the 3 letter words, it moves on from short vowel to other concepts (long vowels, r controlled o's, sight words, etc). Later, you can use the same site to read / practice little online stories. Starfall.com is awesome, we love it!
Another thing you can do is while reading to him, pick words (especially using what he's been doing already in starfall) that he can read to you. When reading books to him now, my son reads all the words like "the, it, can, ran, I, cat", etc to me. I read with my finger, and when I tap a word, that's when he sounds it out and "reads" it for me. It might start with just one word a page, but now he's reading half the page. Be very patient, calm, and matter of fact. Don't get stressed out or he'll get stressed out! Realize that you're teaching him how to look, remember, take some action (sound it out), and confidence to take that chance and try to say what he thinks it is. It's a lot. It is a process. But it's a very special gift to learn how to read---a real treasure that you're taking him to find. Have fun with it!

Most of my son's Kindergarten class cannot read. Most are still learning the alphabet and learning to write their letters. This is because not all kindergartners have a preschool background and there is a vast age difference from those that just turned 5 to those that are almost 6. By November, my daughter could read about half of the "sight words" that they had to know to graduate and the teacher said she was on target, she was almost 6 when she started. Ask his teacher and I am sure she will tell you if he is on target or not.

I really feel like I am sounding like a used car salesman because I have recommended this book so many times on this site:) Check out the $15 book "Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" My daughter was 4 when we used the book... By day 60 she was reading all easy readers... By kindergarten she was reading chapter books... It was amazing to see how quickly she progressed.

1 / 3