How to take SAT test for the Duke University TIP program?

My youngest son is 12 yrs old and in 7th grade. I have gotten a second letter asking him to take the SAT for the Duke University TIP program. I am seriously thinking about allowing him to presue this. I was wondering if anyone else has done this program and if it was a benefit to your child? Also, did you send yours to the summer program or any of the weekend camps? And did you see any benefits from the program?

Summary

Most parents think it is really useful and definitely worthwhile. This will not only boost a child's grades but also their motivation. It is a great tool to help them spot problem areas that they can address in the next couple of years before the real test comes up.

I did this when I was a child, and while it's probably changed since then, I do remember it being really important to me. I actually ended up attending the University we went to for the awards ceremony. It really motivated me to work toward college and empowered me to believe that I was capabable of doing well, but also of getting scholarships to help me get there. It also halped me when I took the test in high school because I felt more prepared having taken it beofore. I'd let him go for it!

My oldest son took the test as well in the 7th grade, He has been in the GT classes since 2nd grade. He is now a Junior and it has helped his test and know what to expect.

He still gets letters from them every year. I say go for it.

My daughter tested and loved the experience. She still gets invitations each year to attend different camps and classes you can take online for credit. She is a freshman this year. I highly recommend this program!

My step-daughter enrolled so that she could take the SAT as a 7th grader. It was an eye-opening experience for her. I would definitely recommend taking advantage of this opportunity!

I participated in the testing (many, many moons ago). It was a valuable experience. I don't recall any classes or programs beyond the test, so I'm not sure about those. But I would say absolutely, the benefit from taking the test in 7th grade made all those tests at the end of high school manageable -- I'd already taken the big one and did well in junior high! -- so there was less stress and I knew what to expect.

The Duke TIP Program is great! My younger brother recently participated in taking the SAT, but did not attend the camps. I actually participated myself at that age, and did attend the camps at Duke. It really is a fantastic program. The key is to make sure your child understands there is nothing major resting on their test score, and it says a lot about their achievements just to be invited. It will be great for you in the years to come knowing where your child is excelling, or needing more work, and giving them confidence in taking those types of tests in the future. Good luck, and have fun!

Our 12 year old daughter has been invited to take the test as well. She is doing it just for the "fun" of it. My husband took it when he was in 7th grade as well. He is 36 and remembers it to have been a helpful tool. I say go for it! If nothing else but for the experience. She is taking hers on Dec. 8th. My other two girls are jealous. They believe because they are in the G/T program they should get to try as well. haha! What little do they know.

Sending your son much luck!
Dene' H.

Girl, you have got to let him do it. My daughter was in the 6th grade and was one of 10 kids from jr. high and high school that were selected. This will not only boost his grades but also his motivation. my daughter was the youngest to be selected and now she is a sophmore taking juniors courses, earning college credits, graduating a year early AND is being sent mail daily from all types of colleges.Her ego is so high when it comes to school it is wonderful to watch. The teachers all love her and come to her for help and advise, she is plaqnning to go to Japan for computer technology and she makes straight a's and is in flag corp. You should let him do it if her wants, You will be so proud to witness this progression and you will not regret it.Good Luck and I hope you go for it!!

1 / 3