How to Store Digital Photo's in a Safe Place

hi mom's,

we have a million digital pictures. we store them on our home computer and back them up w/ an external hard drive. the problem i thought of is.......what happens if there is a fire (or something) and the computer and external hard drive are damaged??? any ideas of a good website to store photo's on or other things that the photo's can be uploaded to and then put in a fireproof safe? (we tried to do cd's but we seriously have too many photo's) any thoughts and advice are appreciated! thank you!

I use Snapfish.com. They seem to have unlimited storage because I have THOUSANDS of pics uploaded to them and there is no space issue. If anything ever happens, you can order new ones.

Why not keep the external drive in a fireproof box or safety deposit box that you access once a month or so to update the information, some of those external drives are pretty small and are easily carried.

I've also heard commercials for online ways to back up. I think one is called Mozy or something like that. I think it sounded pretty inexpensive but I haven't looked into it.

Try Phanfare, it's a great site, easy to use, not that expensive and if there is a fire it retains www.Phanfare.com

We've started going through our photos and erasing some, for starters. Like those not-so-precious blurry photos of our baby in the hospital. We have so many good ones, why clog up our memory with the bad ones?

Then we have burned them onto DVD, one or two DVDs per year. I take a lot of photos, and they usually fit. Now that we have a DSLR that has bigger files, they may not fit anymore.

Then we made two extra copies of the DVDs and sent one copy to my parents and one to my inlaws. We all live in different states. They love having access to our photos, and if all our homes are destroyed simultaneously, we'll have a nuclear holocaust on our hands, and we won't be worrying about our photos!

My husband considered storing an extra set of DVD's at work, also assuming that his office and our home would never be destroyed simultaneously.

If the thought of DVDs makes you cringe, you could buy a second external hard drive to store in a remote location. Every once-in-a-while, switch the hard drives' location so you're updating both.

BIG CAUTION about using Snapfish or Picasa or anything like that. They often do NOT retain the photo's initial size and quality. My SIL lives overseas, and when I downloaded photos from her Picasa online album (using the correct procedure) to add to a family calendar, they weren't big enough to print any bigger than a 4x6. Snapfish and Shutterfly reduce the file size automatically, too, unless you check a box that says you want to save it at full size.

These are NOT a way to back up your photos! It is only for online photo sharing and small-print ordering!

Another caution about online storage...you never know when they might go out of business! Yahoo cut its photo sharing and I had to re-upload all my pictures. That wasn't a big deal, really, because it wasn't a back-up for me, but it reminded me of the transient nature of online companies, even well-established ones like Yahoo, MSN, and Google.

Snapfish.com
I have been storing photos there for 5 years and never a problem. No limit. Plus you have th option to create very cute things from the website if you want.

We have our entire hard drive backed up on Carbonite.com. It's $50 a year and can hold as much as you have at an external place. It automatically backs up everything every time your computer is on. It is the only way I really feel safe.

Walmart has fireproof lock boxes in all diffrent sizes i got one to put my picture CDs in and our birth certificates and ss cards

we are using mozy.com recommended by my parents. . . it's $5/month and it backs up as often as you like, the initial back up can take a few days or a few weeks depending on how much you have on your computer and external and how fast or slow your computer is. . . .good luck! i am always worried about those things too!

I store our photos on an external hard drive and at photobucket.com. I have recently starting using Picasa (google photo storing/sharing) and I like that site too. I have used photobucket pro and love that they have FTP to upload and download photos, but I am not currently a pro member since money is tight.

1 / 3