How to Stop Musty Smell in Small Linen Closet?

We live in a 6 year old home, I noticed a musty smell in the linens from a small closet in our bathroom, I have washed the linens and placed a moisture absorbing product in the closet, but the smell comes back. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem. Easy fix. A box of baking soda in the linen closet. Cheap and works wonders!

Hello K.,

is there any chance there is a water leak somewhere?
you can also put baking soda boxes (arm & hammer) like the ones they have for the fridge and freezer. buy cheap coffee and put the coffee grounds in a bowl in the closet. that will absorb the smell too. ~C.~

cedar packets works well

You might have mold in your wall. Is the closet close to the shower or bath tile? Often the tile installation is inferior. Sometimes the toilet or sink pipes leak into the wall (not usually, but it can happen). Sometimes the outdoor faucet connection leaks into the wall (more common than you would think), and sometimes, just for fun, the vent pipes to the roof leak at the flashings and the resulting leak travels into the walls (very common that the caulk around the top of the vent pipe cracks in the Texas sun, easy, easy fix).

You shouldn't have a smell like that in a six year old house, something is wrong. Hopefully it is something simple to fix.

I keep a few dryer sheets in mine to to make it smell fresh.

I agree with using a moisture absorbing product....You could use DampRid or the little dessicant packets that you get when you buy a new purse, shoes, etc.

What is on the other side of the wall? Sounds like mold/mildew in the ceiling or wall.

Another cheap solution is to cut the top off a continer of salt, you will be amazed at the moisture that it collects. We used to do this for a trailer we store during the winter and it worked great.

I know this is difficult to do for most people, but if you will just leave the door wide open for atleast an entire week, that should get out the moisture for now and if you will keep a box of baking soda in there from now on, that will keep it gone forever. This should work unless of course you have a water leak behind one of the walls, floor or ceiling, whcih is probably worth checking on.

I have the same problem. I don't keep my towels or sheets in there anymore. It's like the combination of type of wood and paint/primer leaches out a weird smell that makes my lines smell sour. I don't have a problem with moisture. I keep my towels under the sink and sheets in my bedroom drawers.

1 / 3